User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promotion of a gaming site

Hi All,

My name is Neil Vaughan and I am the editor of an Xbox 360 website.

I've been running the site for around 2 years but the traffic doesn't seem to be increasing at all. Our average story gets around 250 views, even though we add more content than other Xbox 360 websites.

What I'd really appreciate is some advice on how to promote the website as well as any ideas of how to increase readership.

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the domain?

I find that writing quality articles is the key to traffic. After recently relaunching my site I have been tracking pageviews and dropoff on certain articles and the higher the quality the better.

Promotion can also come from participating in other peoples communities as well as creating one of your own. Ever thought of a competition or contest?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try posting on gaming forums with your site in your signature. Posting helpful stuff like tips or reviews might make people want to check out your site to see what else you have.

Gaming also seems like a niche that would work well with social bookmarking. The people who randomly surf those sites are probably more likely to be gamers than the average web surfer.

You might also be able to post user reviews on bigger gaming sites (can't remember if IGN lets you do this or not). If you can be one of the first few people to review a new game, you might get some decent exposure there.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far, the site is at http://www.totally360.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try posting at game forums, buy blogposts, write articles about your sites topic, submit to directories, do press releases, submit your RSS feeds.. Build as many QUALITY links as possible!
    PR6/PS5 DirFly Directory
    PR5 Bidding Directory Exchange Game traffic: RedPython Games
    Upload big Files: Megafileupload.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super Idea. You can pay people to do the forum posting for you cheap. Type it in google.
    EARN $200 to $400 PER SALE WORLDWIDE PM FOR DETAILS.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add site to directories and forums. Post classified ads for free and try advertising with some lower cost paid per click search engines.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the continued advice. Do you have any suggestions where to post the classified ads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can check with program like smorty.com/sponsoredreviews.com, these are nice site to go for generating positive reviews about your site and for publicity.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaming sites are extremely easy to promote, especially if you have quality site. Why? Because gamers are everywhere. What you need to do is identify clusters of people interested in XBox, and find a way to let them know about your site. MySpace, Facebook and practically every other social network would be a good place to start.

There are also, as people already pointed out, plenty of forums dedicated to the exact sucject of your site, so "infiltrate" these and subtly make people aware of your site.

Word-of-mouth marketing is also extremely effective in this type of niche where the target audience is as large as it is, so get out there, connect with your readers, as many of them as you possibly can, and you should see a steady influx of new visitors just from doing that.

The possibilities are endless in your niche, it just takes a bit of creativity! Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lars,

Has anyone got any good examples of how to set up a facebook/myspace profile which is geared towards promoting a website?

Are there any do's and dont's?