SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of the new glossy screens?

Hello,
    To all of you who have used a notebook with a glossy screen (HP BrightView, Acer CrystalBright, Sony X-Black and so on):

Generally, what do you think of the new glossy screens?

Do they reflect much of the background when you are working with the computer indoor (not in an office enviroment)? Do you think that the blank/glossy screens are annoying when you work with a computer with a such screen?

Would you recomend anyone to buy a notebook with a glossy screen? (I'm thinking of buying a Sony Vaio with an X-Black glossy screen).

Regards
    Oskar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a Macbook with a glossy screen and glare/reflection isn't a problem 99% of the time. However, if your work depends on color accuracy you should probably get a matte screen instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used them a few times and havn't noticed any problems or any reflection issues under normal or florescent lights.
    A community environment where web designers can share their work:
    RateMyWebPage.net
    Check out and review some new and unique websites or submit your own

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for laptops, bad for desk top LCDs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a few laptops with the newer screens at work. So far nobody has complained about the glossy effect.

We did have one complaint about a person who did not want the "Wide Screen" because it distorted his spreadsheet......some people are never happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny I was about to post this same question, I'm buying a macbook pro, probably this weekend, I'm really stuck on a decision whether to go glossy or not. I just went to a mac retailer near my office to look at them and the glossy does look nicer, but I did notice reflections of the light. Sure you can play with the tilt of the screen and correct it. But it seems like a bit of a hassle. I'm really undecided at the moment. Too bad I can't "test drive" it for a day. Then I could make a better decision.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    I have a Macbook with a glossy screen and glare/reflection isn't a problem 99% of the time.
    Same here. I was anxious about it at first, but it has yet to bother me in the year I've had the MAC.

I just got a cheap Acer at Walmart today and I find that glossy screen bothers me as it's too reflective even in indirect lighting situations - so be sure to check out the model you're looking to buy and see if you like it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I just ordered mine from the online apple store, I decided to go with glossy, I really hope I've made the right choice. I'll know soon enough.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    Same here. I was anxious about it at first, but it has yet to bother me in the year I've had the MAC.

I just got a cheap Acer at Walmart today and I find that glossy screen bothers me as it's too reflective even in indirect lighting situations - so be sure to check out the model you're looking to buy and see if you like it or not.
    I agree with the recommendation to check it out first. I will only buy laptops and monitors in a retail store even if it means a little less selection, for two reasons:

1) You're going to be using this item a lot. You can't really tell if you'll be happy with the design from photos. You won't know if it's too reflective like Ravedesigns', or too heavy, or the keyboard has awkward size or key placement. Like HP's new 12" tablet PCs... look great in photos, but I can't stand the little bumpy thing they use for a touch pad instead of the traditional smooth ones everyone else uses.

2) LCDs too often have bad or stuck pixels and the manufacturer policies mandate a huge number of defects before they'll allow replacement. Meaning, you might be stuck with a screen with bad pixels for years, or at least the time and cost of shipping it back to a website to try your luck again.

If you buy in a store, you can check it out in person; most of the major chains like Best Buy will let you power up a laptop for the first time at the service desk to make sure it's working. That's your chance to check for dead pixels. And if you find one, you can just go back to the store and exchange it within the return period without any hassle with RMAs and shipping.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice tip Dan.

I would never buy one online i want to see it first. I am looking for new tv and have been looking at them for a week now and i can not believe how different each ones pictures is.

I like a tv with glossy screen but do not think i would like it on laptop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's not like I didn't see the thing. I went to stores to check it out and decide that I actually like it. But looking at it for 10 minutes in the store is not really enough, like I said, would be nice to borrow one for a day. Try it in a coffee shop, on my couch, at a desk, at night, in the sun... I can't get that at the store.

I just bought it online because the actual apple store is far from my house, and not to mention really crowded, places like Futureshop and Bestbuy don't have them in stock... the only disadvantage is that if there is a problem I will have to return it. Although since it's apple store I probably could just go to any apple store.

With stores like Futureshop or Bestbuy also if you order online you can return it to any retail location if there's a problem. I agree though for a TV I would go to the store, definitely want to see it first. Also I wouldn't order it off some random website, this is direct from the Apple online store.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like girls on the cover of glossy magazines... they are good to look at but,
    don't touch!

There are two people at work in the marketing department who have the
    glossy LCD screen. Whenever they create a PowerPoint presentation and the
    managers gather around to make their comments, after they have pointed
    their grubby little fingers over the screen -- "change this to that... make this
    picture smaller... make that green... make the headline red...", etc., then
    there are very visible marks all over the screen after they have gone and the
    person who uses the laptop has to do a window cleaning job on it!

Finger print marks are hardly noticeable on the matte screens.

He also tells me that he thinks that the glossy screen might be straining his
    eyes a more than the matte screens because his eyes sometimes feel much
    more tired than they used to do than before he had his laptop replaced with
    this one (he sits in front of it 10 hours or more a day).

I think glossy is fine for home and entertainment use but for business and
    extended use, matte screens seem to be more easier on the eyes.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a matte screen on my iBook, and my current MacBook has the glossy. I like matte better. There was virutally no reflection at all, and it was easier to view it outdoors than this macbook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the Macbook Pro glossy for a few weeks now. So far I like it, I use it for several hours a day. It's true what others said, when there is a reflection it can generally be eliminated by adjusting the angle. Although it does seem to collect dust really fast, and it is noticeable, that would be my only problem with it. But I'm pretty happy with it. I find the image is more vivid.