SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Box fails to load intermittently. Any ideas?

Can someone please look at the markup for my pageexpress.anne-t.com/info.htm and look for errors which might be causing this problem: The box <DIV class="layer1"> only loads intermittently. Note that the Style Sheet is internal and this problem occurs when I'm viewing the page off-line as well as on-line. Other boxes, images etc always load.

The DTD is HTML4 transitional

Your help much appreciated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neither your css or html validated.

main problem with the css was no units in layer1, which could be causing the problem, especially for the width.
    also Parse error - Unrecognized : .888 {font-weight: bold; color: #FF8000;} i dont believe 888 is a valid syntax for a class, but not positive on that.

the html did not validate because there is no "topmargin" and "leftmargin" for body.

try margin-top, and margin-left

validators are your best friend. they always point out the little details like these

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    http://validator.w3.org/

opera had no problems with layer1, although layer1 did cover most of your info and register links at 1024x768 resolution

stevo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stevo. I'll follow up on all your tips. Needless to say I'm a novice with CSS - had to learn quickly to do a site accessible for people with disabilities.

One thing - you wrote: "no units in layer1" what's a "unit" in this context?

Also, where can I find out what is acceptable syntax for class names?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by maisie
    Thanks Stevo. I'll follow up on all your tips. Needless to say I'm a novice with CSS - had to learn quickly to do a site accessible for people with disabilities.

One thing - you wrote: "no units in layer1" what's a "unit" in this context?
    px, pt, %, em, the first two are absolute units, % and em are relative units
    Also, where can I find out what is acceptable syntax for class names?
    http://www.richinstyle.com/guides/applying1.html#class
    sources of info
    w3.org (also accessiblity. ibm has a good accessibility and web design section too.)
    richinstyle.com
    westciv.com

stevo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Richinstyle.com looks excellent. I'll check out the others too.

I have the W3 guidelines for using CSS for accessibility, but haven't downloaded the CSS specification. They're always so big - the accessibility guidelines are a couple of hundred pages.