SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Launching a Ruby Website

Hi There
    Got a huge question to ask, well huge I mean its huge for me, I want to host my website on the WWW, but theres hundreds of folders, I don't know which one I should like the domain to?

All of the .rhtml files are in the site folder is this the one I should link the domain name to?

Any help would be great

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    In the Rails folder, under your application name, there is a folder called PUBLIC.
    That is where you should have a browser pointed.
    The best way (I know) is to set up a symbolic link from the www (aka public_html) folder.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi
    thank u, im trying that now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried doing the above, and my output from my hosting server was:
    Application error
    Rails application failed to start properly"

I'm using 1and1, Can anyone help?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best option at moment is to use Mongrel to serve up the Rails application, and then use a web server such as Apache to proxy the Rails application in a way that allows you to have other web services running along side.

Have a look at this documentation from the Mongrel site:
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/apache.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this allow my website, to be access on the Internet by other users from outside localhost?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it would, but there are other considerations. To make the application available from your PC, you would also have to open up a hole from the internet, directly into your PC. You will need to secure that hole. There are plenty of options to allow you to do that, but securing your PC will not be a trivial task. Getting it wrong will be very bad!

You'll also need a way to allow users to find your website. That means a static IP address for your internet connection (not typical with most ISP packages. There are dynamic IP address options too, but again the set up is not trivial), and probably registration of a domain name.

You'll also need to set up you router to port forward traffic to the PC hosting the sitte.

You'll also need to have you PC on all the time and maintain a permanent connection to the internet.

Therefore, I would strongly recommend that you look at getting a dedicated web host to host your web site. They can be very cheap and some are even free. Have a look at the list on the rubyonrails.org site.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsWebHosts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help, have looked at some of the ruby pacakges, and think I might have found one to go with, so hopefully, when I've finshed building me site I can launch it on there servers, as my current hoster does not support ROR grrrr.