User Tag List

Thread: CRTs vs. LCDs

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CRTs vs. LCDs

Which is better to design on? If I color calibrate my laptop's LCD, will the things I design look perfect on both CRTs and LCDs? Also, what calibration tool do you guys use?
    But what care I for praise? - Bob Dylan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only life were so simple. I find calibration to be useful only for print design. Web design, forget it. So many monitors, different gammas, some calibrated one way, others calibrated another way, most not calibrated at all.

Getting your images to look "perfect" is only possible if you know about the output device.There are thoursands of different monitors being used to look at the web, and no one image is going to look good on all of them.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be a loose standard though, even if everyone doesn't use it. Would monitor calibration be that standard?
    But what care I for praise? - Bob Dylan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think there is a loose standard. monitor calibration is the exception, not the standard--there are fewer people who calibrate than do.

if you're going to consider color calibration, you have to consider brightness and contrast. there are millions of combinations of brightness and contrast that can affect the way an image shows up on a webpage. trying to consider all these factors will drive you nuts, so don't sweat it. just make sure the page functions well.
    "There's no justice like angry mob justice!" --Seymour Skinner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can just about guarantee that every set-up is different, and everyone percieves colours a little different too!! I havn't heard of a set-standard as such either, mainly due to these factors.

This seems a pretty hot topic at the moment, and I posted a very lengthy reply concerning some of the key issues here... give it a read:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=51057
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think LCD's equal the quality of CRT's. Although, the Apple Cinema Display is very good.($)

http://www.apple.com/displays/acd22/

As for gamma, we need something like ColorSync for PC.

Your best bet for calibrating to a standard would be using the software that comes with a monitor calibrator. It's a good idea to calibrate for web graphics- especially if you are building a site for a Photographer, Fine Artist, etc.

Spyder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding standards, I mean a common set-up, and indeed coloursync on Mac is reasonable, but not 100% I have found. Calibrating an accurate display is a sticky point, and is often trial an error. You can go to great extremes investing in hardware and software solutions, but as long as you have a good graphics card running in 24/32 bit colour and quality monitor, you are half-way there!

Yes, it's a fact that crt's display a wider colour gamut than lcd's, so it's s shame that Applve have stopped making crt's that match G4 desktops!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips