SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Blackburn South, Victoria, Au
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Similar sounding name

    Hi guys,
    I was reading another post regarding, trademark infringement. a site that got issued with a cease and desist, because of similar sounding name.
    because I do not have a deep pocket yet, for the legal,
    I would like to test, if you think it's to close
    or can it stand on it's own.
    "Lord of The Rings" - the movie and the video game
    "Lord of the Greens"-
    think you can putt.-online putting game,
    i have bought the domains linked with it and started the ground work, scoping and treament,
    thank you
    willie

  2. #2
    SitePoint Guru Ruben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alkmaar, The Netherlands
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just look at what happened with mikerowesoft vs microsoft

  3. #3
    SitePoint Evangelist elgumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a lawer but personally, I can't see anything wrong in the above example. There are a lot of similar names like you mentioned. eg Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Flies etc..

    I think you would be more likely to have a problem if you registered something like "Lordz of the Ringz" and filled if full of products from the movie.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,676
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are really that worried, consult a lawyer - a single consultation is not going to cost a lot of money, you may even get 30 minutes for free. Don't trust any legal advice you get around here, we're not lawyers.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Blackburn South, Victoria, Au
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgumbo View Post
    I'm not a lawer but personally, I can't see anything wrong in the above example. There are a lot of similar names like you mentioned. eg Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Flies etc..

    I think you would be more likely to have a problem if you registered something like "Lordz of the Ringz" and filled if full of products from the movie.
    Hey elgumbo,
    a big thank you for that, would have been a painful experience to go more then half way and find out that you can't use the name,
    thanks

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Blackburn South, Victoria, Au
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    if you are really that worried, consult a lawyer - a single consultation is not going to cost a lot of money, you may even get 30 minutes for free. Don't trust any legal advice you get around here, we're not lawyers.
    yes your right,
    I wanted a NDA,
    went to the lawyer and explained what I wanted
    when I left the office, less the 250 that cost to see him and no NDA,
    and when I went to see him about something else, he said my bill for the NDA was still outstanding,
    went to a seminar cost nothing and had the NDA sitting right on top of all the paper work free
    at least now I know where I stand, if and when a cease and desist, shows up,
    I will subpoena all his records regarding other similar sounding names and use the content for my defense.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Evangelist elgumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Hey elgumbo,
    a big thank you for that, would have been a painful experience to go more then half way and find out that you can't use the name,
    thanks
    No problem but you did read the bit about me not being a lawer, right?

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Blackburn South, Victoria, Au
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgumbo View Post
    No problem but you did read the bit about me not being a lawer, right?
    yes,

    thank you,
    be well
    willie

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Blackburn South, Victoria, Au
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for your help guys,
    found a co producer, who has a Dr in Law, to look after the IP for the game and movie


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •