SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on layout options...

for a newbie which I should I concentrate to get a grasp on CSS and layout design? Fixed?

And is there a time when you should l use one over the other. Seems so many options regarding layouts. Fixed, Liquid, elastic, liquid-elastic.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Restricted width elastic layouts (those that are flexible, but with a set minimum and maximum width) are going to be your goal. However, getting there will take a while.

I'm not a fan of fixed width sites since many of them are centered in the browser window (it just makes the space surrounding each page feel wasted to me), but it is something useful to know how to do, especially when starting out.

Regardless of which you choose, just make sure that the layout doesn't get broken when the user does something unexpected, like resize the text size in their browser.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Dan, Centered fixed width layouts rule! easy to read, pleasing to the eye, centered and focused, neat and tidy.

It's good to get a grasp of both fluid and fixed width layouts.

I would suggest you go for a 2 column centered fixed width layout to start out, using floats.
    Make a copy of the stylesheet and make it a full width fluid layout with % widths for the columns.
    Make another copy of the stylesheet and add a third column to the fixed width layout.
    Make another copy and....

Experimenting with different layouts will teach you a lot.
    And is there a time when you should l use one over the other. Seems so many options regarding layouts. Fixed, Liquid, elastic, liquid-elastic.
    Speaking very generally, it depends on the purpose of the site, I would say 'design-based' sites work better as fixed width, but 'content-based' sites work better as fluid.

If your site has a huge amount of content then providing the user with the most flexible way to view that content is a big bonus. The downside is it makes it unpretty at some sizes.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys. Makes sense seems most of the designed sites are fixed. And lot of more biz /pro ones are fluid when I think about it. thanks for the tips.