SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Content writing sofware

Not sure if I am just being silly or very gullible...
    someone said to me recently that there was some content writing software out there that basically you copy an existing article into the software and it rewrites it by inserting words and rearranging sentences and paragraphs.

Is this for real?
    If by some amazing chance the guy wasn't lying to me..what is the software?

thanks in adv...

James.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no such thing as content writing software -- it's called scraper software. It steals content from other sites. Most every developer suggests enough is changed to keep you from getting either banned or penalized by Google or sued for copyright infringement.

The fact is Google has gotten better at detecting and banning SE spam. The reason is simple: SE spam threatens Google on a basic level. If SE spammers make SERPs irrelevant the search engine in question becomes useless to users, and they will stop using the search engine.

Like tobacco companies, you are not going to be told anything negative about the product from the people selling the product.

Traffic Equalizer -- Banned from Google?
    . "My main business site used to have a pagerank of 4 and was listed on page 1 of Google at one time. Today, it has a PR 0 and appears to not be listed in Google at all. Is this a sign of being penalized/banned? What could have caused it? The only 'questionable' thing I've ever done is use TrafficEqualizer pages for my sitemap."

Top 10 Google Dont's - Things You Should Never Do for Search Engine Optimization Right in number three. Now, everybody and their brother will swear that their robot isn't a robot, and especially isn't scraper software. This is exactly the same arguments you got from tobacco companies.

Every black hat says they have a secret technique that keeps their sites from getting banned. It's becoming fashionable to suggest that the scraper software they promote isn't really scraper sofware. That's why people want to get you out of this section and onto PM as soon as possible.

Bye-Bye Scraper Sites - Google and the Similarity Engine

There is no such thing as content writing sofware -- it's scraper software. Just like "low tar" cigarettes, calling scraper software something that sounds good doesn't changes its nature. Developers are simply repositioning their product because people are hearing how scrapers get sites banned.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good reply DCrux. Dignifying scraper software with a name like content writing software is similar to calling a gun and a "hand over the money" note a "bank withdrawal kit".
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so it's a bit naughty then?

Never really thought of it as scraping, everything ever written is just the same words in a different order

- I would have thought that scraping was straight copying

which brings me onto my pet hate of RSS feeds where the same thing appears all over the place, but that's a different question all together

james.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everything ever written is just the same words in a different order
    This is a fallacy. Please conduct the follow test. Scan any one of J.K. Rowlings books into a computer, run it through the software -- then submit it to publishers.

In the time it takes you to get a legal notice from the publisher's lawyers, spend time pondering the difference between writing and typing something.

...If writing were anything near as easy as what you suggest, you wouldn't need the software. You would simply change the words around for yourself.
    Last edited by DCrux; Oct 30, 2007 at 04:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exemplary response, DCcrux. I'd have struggled to have constructed such a response myself. Clearly this is a big no no in the copywriting world. Albeit you may get away with it from a SEO perspective, from an ethical perspective it is a taboo.

Even though, as aforementioned, search engines are becoming much better at detecting such techniques, they can never be 100% correct because what if a copywriter legitimately falls in to the category of plagiarism? It has a fundamental dilemma similar to topics such as eugenics - what might start out as perfectly innocent, soon spirals into chaos. After all, who gets to say what falls under what category?
    TalkPHP.com - The Friendly PHP Community

Watch Reaper Online - Watch Chuck Online

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any automated softare to write content will hurt your site. They just copy content from the web and add some more. Google has strict policy on this. Blogs or sites that use software to update or make new posts or sites with it will not do well in search results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly don't advocate scraping content. It was just an enquiry as someone painted a "prettier picture" to me of the software.

FWIW: I happen to dislike content feeds also, as a lot of sites seem to be built with nothing but other peoples content, but that's hardly something that I can change.

James.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the poster is talking about scraping software here.

There are also programs that simply scramble up whatever article you copy & paste into it. I don't see any copyright problems if you are only using your own original articles.

Ideally, this would be a great way to generate slightly different copies of your articles so you could submit one and post another on your site with no duplicate content issue. Unfortunately, neither of the 2 different programs I've tried of this kind worked very well. The re-generated articles were way too scrambled and unreadable.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally, this would be a great way to generate slightly different copies of your articles so you could submit one and post another on your site with no duplicate content issue. Unfortunately, neither of the 2 different programs I've tried of this kind worked very well. The re-generated articles were way too scrambled and unreadable.
    You are truly talking about idyllic theory. Because even when you use the product in that way, you yourself explain you got unsatisfactory results.

Sure, in some future time, when A.I. matures, we may have something. And when that day comes, my estimation is 95-99% of the users of such software will be using it to rewrite swiped content to spam search engines.

Ideally, people would act according to the incredible special exceptions people use to rationalize what they themselves admit they shouldn't be doing. In practice real human nature wins out ...pretty close to every time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make some tests before i'll have to apply for it.
    http://www.letraspedia.com letras de canciones
    free lyrics - espanol

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCrux View Post
    You are truly talking about idyllic theory. Because even when you use the product in that way, you yourself explain you got unsatisfactory results.

Sure, in some future time, when A.I. matures, we may have something. And when that day comes, my estimation is 95-99% of the users of such software will be using it to rewrite swiped content to spam search engines.

Ideally, people would act according to the incredible special exceptions people use to rationalize what they themselves admit they shouldn't be doing. In practice real human nature wins out ...pretty close to every time.
    Although the theory sounds idylllic, software that mixes words and reformats content just doesn't make sense for any use, especially on the Internet.

Here's how you write good content:

1. You write the draft.
    2. You check the mechanics.
    3. You check the continuity.
    4. You check the flow.
    5. You check for keyword insertion.
    6. You check the formatting.
    7. You recheck the mechanics.

After this, your article should say what you want to say and how you want to say it. It should be well-optimized for reading and ready for the search engines.

It seems to me, that an automated tool would only serve to undo all of the hard work you've done.

If you want to write two articles about one topic, it is far better to write the articles from different viewpoints and have two excellent articles than one well-written and one mish-mash of typed words. For instance, you might write one article about different uses of apples and another about different types of apples.
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to write two articles about one topic, it is far better to write the articles from different viewpoints and have two excellent articles than one well-written and one mish-mash of typed words. For instance, you might write one article about different uses of apples and another about different types of apples.
    Why should one need two types of articles about one subject? Will it be for your readers to read articles about similar things?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me, that an automated tool would only serve to undo all of the hard work you've done.
    I agree. The horror of mangling the syntax alone is a nonsense. Plus, remember that your readers are smart too. If the articles come out as robotic, unwitty and doesnt make sense, do you think you can sell. Nah.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigLL View Post
    Why should one need two types of articles about one subject? Will it be for your readers to read articles about similar things?
    Professional writers often write several articles on a single topic to submit them to different types of media. For instance, you might write and article on skiing in Aspen, Colorado for a sports oriented publication (or website) and another for a travel oriented business. Or an article about a certain herb for a gardening magazine and another for a cooking magazine and still another for a homeopathic health magazine. Depending on the genre, the focus of the article would change.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question he was asking was
    .... some content writing software out there that basically you copy an existing article into the software and it rewrites it by inserting words and rearranging sentences and paragraphs.
    Is this for real?
    Yes this is for real ! How good it is ? ... thats a different story.
    Should you be using it ... well again it depends on you. But I don't think it is illegal in anyway. Is it ethical ... depends on how you use it.
    But if you have several blogs and want a particular article that you have written to be featured on all the blogs and you dont want to be penalized for duplicate content and you do not have enough time, energy and inclination to re-write the same article several times ... then I guess its a best choice !
    For further details JustPayPerPlay.com

SEO India | Nokia mobile phones
    Samsung Mobile Phones