SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't know where to post this, so it ended up here...

Just wondering about the many meta search engines out there. These engines use listings from other search engines on their own site. How come this is not a copyright violation? Most engines clearly state that ".. bla bla including the specific ordering of URLs ..." is copyrighted.

Anybody knows?

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually you are supposed to work out an arrangement with the search engines you get data from.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about that, but look at an example such as http://one2seek.com/

I don't think they have made arrangements with 45 different engines... And what about all the software that will do the same?

Or what about http://www.1blink.com/ I doubt they went out and bought the rights to use the databases from Yahoo, Excite, Google etc.

Christian

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is definately a grey area in copyright issues. Are you thinking about providing such a service yourself or just asking out of curiousity?

If you want a large Internet search engine for your own site, take a look at the OPEN Directory Project. They allow you to use their database of approximately 2 million links on your site. You can either download the directory directly in XML format or parse their online content for your site. To see the latter look at My Weblinks. For the former you can build your own engine and modify links if you need to.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primarely asking out of curiousity, and yes, I am familiar with dmoz.

I am fairly sure a URL is NOT copyrighted (just like an address), so one could make an argument about reordering the way/order in which the URLs are listed, which might be a loop hole...

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a question too. DMOZ is rather small, because of its human editted links, so does anyone else know of any other open source directories?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most search engines want people to make an arrangement with them, whether it is showing some ads for them or something else. Whether the people at the metasearch engines you listed do or not is a different matter.

------------------
    Martin Kretzmann
    Plebius Press - A progressive perspective ... "Insert favorite quote here"
    We have hosted and perl scripts too!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMOZ is not as small as you think. Its about the same size as Yahoo, Lycos and Go.com are, which is less than 10% of the internet. Also since its an edited list of sites not pages within a site you have 2 million different sites compared to 15 million pages where one site could have thousands of pages.

Besides 2 million sites is a lot better with an semi-open license is a lot better than trying to build such an index by yourself.

Also DMOZ and Yahoo have the same operating principles and linking strategy. DMOZ submissions are reviewed by volunteers and there are a lot more of them so sites get added faster. Also since the majority of search engines use DMOZ data within their searches your site can appear in a lot of places with less work if you submit to them. Your site can even show up on Yahoo because of their recent switch to Google.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of dmoz, does anybody know what it means? I always figured it was short for "Directory Mozilla" but I don't really know.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall reading somewhere that the old site of dmoz was directory.mozilla.org, so they probably shortened it to dmoz.

Still, why would directories like yahoo make arrangements with metasearch engines, if it steals their visitors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they want money, and maybe it actually brings them more visitors and more visibility.

If you ran a search engine wouldn't you let somebody use it in a metasearch if they paid you and put links to your site?