SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog posts or articles

Hi everyone,
    I've created a new website/blog about Venus flytraps (link in signature). The site currently has eight blog posts, however I have another 30 or so posts sitting there ready to auto-post for the next year. Plus I'm hoping to create about 30 more posts to push that out to about two years.

My question is ... should I continue with the auto-posting idea, or post them all now?

I originally figured I'd potentially get more visitors if they knew there'd be a regular update every two weeks (approx.) and that they may keep coming back for updates, but now I'm wondering whether I'd be better packing it with posts initially to make it more interesting and give a whole heap of information in one punch to keep the punters interested.

Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated

thanks,
    Ryan

PS: Before anyone asks ... the site would have a much better navigation system if I added all the posts at once, it's just basic at the moment as there's not much to navigate through.

Off Topic:

thanks to Miriam Schwab at WordPressGarage.com for suggesting I add an 'about' page

EDIT: Does anyone know what the BB code for doing off-topic text is? Mine doesn't seem to be working
    EDIT 2: Sara told me how. Thanks Sara
    Last edited by ryanhellyer; Oct 28, 2007 at 04:45.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would post them now

My view is that the site would work better as a reference site, rather than a site which people check up on daily or weekly

My suggestion is to remove the datestamp from posts, organise posts by category and just post all of the posts just now. You could still add new posts from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Fonzerelli. How many people would keep coming back to read the latest update on venus fly-traps? If you post them all at once you have another advantage of all of it getting indexed early.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I thought I replied this morning, but my post isn't here anymore!?

Anyhows, thanks for the feedback. I'll remove the dates and then post all of the posts along with their categories to help people navigate their way around. Posting them all at once gives more instant gratification too! Waiting a couple of years for all my hard work to show up is annoying.

I'll probably change the home page to a static one too.

thanks,
    Ryan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I would post them all at once, especially if you only have 30 posts. That doesn't seem like enough posts to stretch out over an entire year. I know I personally wouldn't keep checking on a blog that only had 30 posts a year.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a nice site Ryan. You can also take the option of posting a percentage of them now (to beef up your site) and then post the remainder over time. I agree that it does seem better suited as a reference site than a blog.

Off Topic:

to post thing offtopic use the

[ ot ] [ /ot ] tags.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted all the existing ones now, added categories and made the home page partially static (intro with latest post excerpts now shown).

I think I'll add a whole heap more over the next while and then prepare some for posting every few months for the next year or two as a token gesture just to give the illusion that someone is actually doing something behind the scenes :P I've already got people posting comments so that will hopefully help generate some interesting content on it's own.

Things are going well so far Thanks for the tips

Ryan,