SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

window.openTab object?? Does it exist?

I know this is kind of a long shot but I was wondering if there is some sort of object that will open a new tab in Firefox. (Or any browser, for that matter).

I have a client who has a php script that posts ad to another server. The problem is that after he clicks "post ad" on his script, he then has to sign in on the new web page/new server. For whatever reason, the sign-in requirement voids his previous "post ad" click and then he has to click "post ad" again after he signs in.

In a perfect world, his "post ad" click (on his php script) would open another tab, populate the fields of the new webpage/new server, and click "post ad" on the new web page/new server.

I realize that there are huge security concerns here. I'm just trying to get things straight in my head.

Thanks!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There isn't. Maybe with browser supporting tabs almost universally now there will be in the future but that day is a long ways off at this point.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a user controlled feature, whether a new 'window' is opened in a tab or a separate window, or even if a script generated window is allowed to open at all.

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ I agree. The point being, that you can simply issue an open window call like normal. It's the browser/user preferences that will control exactly how it works out. This does mean that you'll have to account for the potential differences in display during your design phase. And yes, that could be icky depending on how demanding your requirements are and what you want it to do. But usually I'm guessing it won't be a problem, and if I'm wrong, then come back!
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.