SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$10k On Magazine Promotion: How would you spend it?

If you have $10,000 to promote in magazines, would you buy one BIG ad in a magazine or smaller ads in several magazines?

I've got a site that I know could be BIG. I'm willing to dip into my savings to make sure this site gets the marketing push that it needs. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most benefit for my $$$.

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It really depends on what the magazines are. We have a project we are working on and there is a magazine we have already decided to advertise in for $1k. I know it's not 10k, but it's still a decent bit of money to put into one form of promotion. That being said, the magazine is perfect because it is targeted at our audience. If it's a perfect fit and the rate of return is high, it could definitely work. You would def want to know their subscription #'s as well as circulation #'s.
    Sara

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to get a return from print advertising the key is repetition.

A one-off buy probably isn't going to get you much success (unless you get an advertorial spot), people need to see your ad over and over again to maximize your return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your site is truly a good idea, save yourself the $10k and send the editor an email with an invitation to your site while saying what it's about. The best print advertising is that of articles and reviews written by a publication, not the ads sitting next to the article.

If they write an article about your site, then maybe you could inquire about advertising on the accompanying page; perhaps buying a full page ad that coincides with the content/context of the article talking about your site.

Don't bind yourself to a one-variable cost/return formula; they're always the most inefficient. Sure, $X may get X Pageviews, but $X + X Time + X Attention + X Long Term Contacts + X X's = Much more rewarding, lasting returns.
    I run companies.

I run a blog too.
    StevenKovar.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would advertise in 1 magazine 10 times. Frequency is what gets people. They can get used to you, it legitimizes you and they will memorize their URL. The problem with seeing one print ad in one magazine is that a lot of times the reader is not in front of a computer so it's not going to translate into a click if they forget about you. Usually when I go to a URL from print it's after seeing it a few times.

To the reader who mentioned PR instead, yes it's free, but you need

1) To have a story that's not just about your site but your niche in general and show how your site has a relevant story to the niche. Otherwise they see through it.
    2) I had one of my sites in a major trade magazine mentioned prominently in an article and only got about 10 people from it. Again - one offs don't lead to clicks. It's a cumulative effec.t
    Best New Website Awards
    100+ Categories, Low Entry Fee,
    Get The Recognition Your Site Deserves!
    Plenilune - Buy, Sell, Improve & Maintain Websites

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off realize that 10k is rarely going to get you much in the way of visible inventory in a major magazine. Assuming you're going with smaller books in hopes of maximizing your ad dollar, you'll need to strike a balance. Your ad has to be big enough to be seen for branding yet frequent enough to get a brand impression. Adholes is absolutely right in that 10 impressions would be ideal and frequency is the key. However, it's unlikely you'll get a big enough placement for $1k and thus you may have to settle on something like 5 placements.

Avoid putting single ads in any source. It's been proven that in print you need no less than 3 issues to get a return and generally more to really see results.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for smaller ads in more magazines. However, your ad must be really eye-catching (try some cool colors) and be placed either at the beggining or at the end of the magazine if possible.

Good luck!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skip the magazine market and put the money into online advertising. Ten years ago my company used to spend 120K a month on print advertising with terrific return but that was a long time ago. Nowadays, we spend about 10K in print and most of our ad dollars go to Adsense and other search ads, because revenue from print ads has dropped dramatically. If you do decide to go the print route, make sure that your print ad drives people to your website and make sure you have the backend to track revenue from your print ads. You may find it pays or doesn't pay, but make sure you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are targeting a local market, you could try magazine ads as a form of offline campaign.

But generally, you should opt advertising your site on the net. The level of traffic you would get from an offline campaign IMO tends to be limited as compared to online marketing thru PPC, banner ads, targeted backlinks, etc.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a new site spread it over a few magazines. One stint in a higher profile magazine will flop unless you continue with the campaign.
    Bannaz - Flash Banner Design
    █ Leading designers in online advertising.
    www.bannaz.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by symptic View Post
    If your site is truly a good idea, save yourself the $10k and send the editor an email with an invitation to your site while saying what it's about. The best print advertising is that of articles and reviews written by a publication, not the ads sitting next to the article.

If they write an article about your site, then maybe you could inquire about advertising on the accompanying page; perhaps buying a full page ad that coincides with the content/context of the article talking about your site.

Don't bind yourself to a one-variable cost/return formula; they're always the most inefficient. Sure, $X may get X Pageviews, but $X + X Time + X Attention + X Long Term Contacts + X X's = Much more rewarding, lasting returns.
    Totally agree. Don't spend it on ads. Either spend it on PR (good PR practitioner) or save the dough and and do PR work yourself. Editorial coverage / reviews are worth so much more - and they don't cost anything (but skill, timing and hard work.)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good PR is gold but PR is not something you can bank on month in and month out. Even more importantly, PR for a new business is not a quick turn around -- from securing an editorial to seeing it in print can take months. As a result, just about no company out there relies solely on PR... As my PR buddies always say, you pitch until you can't pitch anymore but follow up your PR with a paid marketing campaign because you just don't know what's going to happen. And the truth is, you need visibility every month, not just when your PR hits.
    - Ted S