SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ie5x and 6 errors

on http://www.phuset.dk/ny/lisbeth/lisbeth.html in ie5x and 6 the .clear {clear:both; height:0} is rendered height:10px approx which disrupts the height of the #businesscard (i have given the .clear a bg-color and a width as well so i can see it, when it is quirky): what do i do?

in ie5x the img in #businecard is positioned slightly too much to the left - giving #businecard a too large padding-right: can i do anything about that?

also, the top link wont show its border-bottom before i hover it: what can i do?

see http://browsershots.org/png/original...4e348ae606.png which i ie5.5

thanks
    rasmus

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't got time to look at this but the first problem sounds like a common bug in IE6 and below in that it won't render it's height smaller than the base fontsize even if it doesn't contain any text.

So if you apply font-size: 0; to this .clear, then it should fix the problem

I'll have a look at your other problems in the morning although someone in Oz or the US may be able to help you before I'm back online.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

To make the links show their borders add this:

Code:
    #menubox a{position:relative;}
    That menubox really should be a list though becasue screen readers will read those adjacent anchors as one sentence without stopping.

You should never really have anchors separated only by whitespace in the html. That's why a list structure makes double sense because its semantic and provides containers for the anchors.

As Dave said above there are a number of way to fix the clear problem and you could also use overflow:hidden instead of font-size:0 but either will do.

Code:
    .clear {
        clear: both;
        height:1px;
        overflow:hidden;
       margin-top:-1px;
    }
    The image looks as though its only 2 px out and I wouldn't really worry about that for ie5.x If it worries you then use the conditional comments to supply ie5.x with this rule:

Code:
    #businesscard img {
        margin-right:-2px;
        }
    Hope that helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poul O'B: your solutions work
    thank you very much
    rasmus
    Last edited by samtaleterapi; Oct 26, 2007 at 08:04.