SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you repair a Black Hat Site ?

I've been wondering about this for a while...

If you're evaluating a possible client's website who's stuff was setup with black hat practices like doorways, redirects, cloaked text, shady reciprocal links, etc. What can you do to sell them that your corrections will fix the problem and put their rankings on track?

In my other thread, I asked about Google penalties because I wanted to know how to fix them. So the question is...

How do you undo these kinds of things--do you just fix the pages, or do you have to fix them and then tell someone at Google?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to do a very careful survey of everthing that might be wrong with the site, and then fix it to very best of your ability. Then do a reinclusion request. It has been my experience that some sites that were especially bad may not be accepted back in for an extended period of time.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I would be blatantly honest and tell them that they may notice a temporary drop in ranking, but that it is the only sensible long term solution. Tell them that they risk almost certain exclusion if they don't allow you to make the changes. Or have they already been excluded?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can fix them and then fill out a re-inclusion request through the webmaster control panel. But you only get one shot. Get caught twice and kiss your SERPs goodbye forever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a customer with a couple of REALLY GOOD domain names where I wonder if they will EVER be included again. It is a real shame to see.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get rid of the cloaked text and try to get rid of redirects first. You might not be able to fix all the problems and site will not be listed again if banned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I took a look at Google Webmasters for my site and saw that there is a removal tool and re-inclusion. But if you're getting rid of a client's page because he's broken the rules, is there a need to do a reinclusion, if you're not going to re-use the page? Is removal enough?

Off Topic:

Google should consider creating a tool where people can check this for themselves. Many webmasters with less experience than those here, probably would not have any clue they'd crossed the line.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think you could put the pages that you have removed (and not fixed) in the content block at the bottom of the reinclusion request along with your explanation of what your did to fix remaining pages and why you are asking the site be reincluded. Anyway, that's what I'd do.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    Ok, I took a look at Google Webmasters for my site and saw that there is a removal tool and re-inclusion. But if you're getting rid of a client's page because he's broken the rules, is there a need to do a reinclusion, if you're not going to re-use the page? Is removal enough?
    Removal is not enough. Once you are banned from the index you can't get back in until the manually flip the switch and unban your site. Without a reinclusion request they'll never know you fixed things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can't say I've ever seen a site that was completely banned from the index, but I've seen some that apparently don't place as well anymore.

I did a web search to see what's out there documenting this and I found this page by SEOmoz. Thoughts?

Also, I'm failing to see the logic of doing a re-inclusion for pages that will never re-appear anyway.

If the client has several pages of outbound reciprocal link pages to shady places and I suggested those pages be deleted, would there be a need to re-include/replace them if they weren't designed for navigable content in the first place?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post

If the client has several pages of outbound reciprocal link pages to shady places and I suggested those pages be deleted, would there be a need to re-include/replace them if they weren't designed for navigable content in the first place?
    I don't think it would be necessary. What you might want to do is create a new sitemap and reference that in your reinclusion request. I'd also re-submit the sitemap using the web tools.

I've heard that Google has banned whole sites, but then we know that they also index pages that are topic relevant and well-optimized, so I can't see why they would not re-include a site if black hat pages were deleted from it.

However, I wouldn't rely on backlinks for re-inclusion (not saying that was your plan ). I would resubmit each page of the site using their reinclusion form.

(I hope you let us know what you do and how it works for you so we can all benefit from your experience if we need to.)
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question: does google still run adwords for sites it has thrown out of organic?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousKevin View Post
    question: does google still run adwords for sites it has thrown out of organic?
    Yes, I know of a few instances of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcj662 View Post
    Get rid of the cloaked text and try to get rid of redirects first. You might not be able to fix all the problems and site will not be listed again if banned.
    Why are redirects in general bad? Or are you talking about redirects to black hat sites?