User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pls help me choose a computer for dv

Hi folks,

I'm getting into desktop video and I've decided to go with the Pinnacle DV500+ capture card with Premiere 6. Now I just need a computer to go with it. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices with Dell; desktop or workstation. If anybody can help me make a decision on this I'd be grateful.

Choice#1:

Dell Dimension 8200
    pentium 4 at 1.8 ghz
    256mg pc800 rdram
    20 gb ultra ata hard drive (7200rpm)
    video card= 64mb nvidia geforce 2 mx
    price=$1600 Canadian

Choice#2

Dell Precision WS340
    pentium 4 at 1.8ghz
    256mb pc800 ecc
    20gb I(ata-100)#1 1" (7200rpm)
    video card = ATI Rage 128 Ultra 32mb vga
    price= $2100 Canadian

For me these specs don't look all that different, except maybe the Precision has a little faster memory and a better video card. Do you think the Precision is $500 Canadian ($300 USD) better than the Dimension? Or should I just stick with the Dimension and spend the 5 bills on beer?

Thanks,

Diggsy

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm theres not a lot in it, Ill give your that, apart from the memory type and gfx cards. I wouldnt go for the GeForce 2 Personally for Digital work but Im not sure if you would notice the difference between the 2 to warrant the extra cash.

Suggestion, buy the cheaper one and spend some of the cah you save on another chunk of 256 RAM, you can never have enough RAM and importantly so if you are working with large video files.

Question, do the PCs come with monitors and if so are they different? The difference between a CRT or a Flatscreen TFT could be where your $500 is going.

Glen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id be more enclined to go with the dimension and then spend the $500 on more ram and if you have enough go for a bigger hard disk.(no idea what a canadian dollars worth)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

To glenplake: There isn't a monitor included in either of the 2 systems, so I'm still at a loss as to why the Precision is that much more.

To iTec: The Canadian dollar is worth less and less everyday (app. 63 cents American today).

To both: Thanks for the suggestions on the RAM and storage.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Diggsy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, you'll probably need more RAM. A larger Hard Drive would be a good idea, too. Two Hard Drives would be best: one for applications and a big one to dump raw video on.

You might want to look at the Sony Vaio's:

http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/digita...uickship.shtml
    (no monitor)

Btw, the Dell uses RDRAM. Runs hot and it's proprietary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jimknee
    You might want to look at the Sony Vaio's
    That RX670 model looks pretty promising, to me, but of course the price is in American dollars and not Canadian. :-)

I'm no expert on computer hardware for video, but I think you may want to spring for a slower processor or scrap some office apps, etc. to have more money for RAM (I'd think you'd want at least half a gig) and more hard drive space (I've heard somewhere that it's about 8 gigs for about 45 min, but I can't substantiate it), or maybe one of those neato DVD-Rs.

What ever you get, make sure it's expandable, because you needs may change a bit and I doubt that you're shelling out enough money now to have a dream editing system. Nature of the beast... ;-)

~~Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only dabble a little, but I can def say you will want ALOT more ram!! I would be aiming for 512 upwards to a 1 gig! I only use After Effects, but when it's rendering the final movie it eats through ram FAST, and when it's out of ram it goes soooo much slower!! Video in general eats ram fast!

This can of course always be upgraded very simply afterwards of course, so def your first purchase!!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

build one

I dont know where you live or how much youve done with hardware, but if you build a pc you can get much more for much less out of pocket....

I built a pc with 512mb ram athlon 1600 pc266 and a basic 64mb gcard with a case and a motherboard two raided 20gb hds and another 30 gb hd and a 19" monitor for under $1000 us.

around here theres frys electronics, but check out computer shops that have all of the individual parts.

building a computer can also increase your knowledge of what a computer is doing and why you have bottlenecks...

your hard drive can be a major bottleneck...
    basic hds arre ata100 or less, and have high seek times, even though they spin at 7200rpm. scsi hds can reach awesome seektimes of as low as 4.9ms or even less on a 12gb hd for about $400, with a controller card for $150. this can improve file saving and opening times, and is very cool when dealing with large high quality video streams.

memory is also important and i always recommend twice as much as you have is better than what you have... especially with windows.

you can also buy these components online if you dont have access to a large retailer. pricewatch.com can help you find the latest prices and links to places that sell online or by phone.

hope you get a good computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video editing, eh?

RAID, 2 x SCSI 15,000RMP 100G harddrives
    dual maybe 4 or 8, 16, etc P4 2.2Ghz processors
    2Gb or DDRram
    Firewire port
    DVD-RAM drive

That is what you would need for video editing, i've got a pretty fast computer, and I wouldn't like to try much video editing on this....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your just doing a bit of a chop and cut of your videos and nothing serious, just get a good harddrive SCSI would be the way to go...

Dual Intel® Xeon™ Processor 2.2GHz/512KB Cache
    and all the rest:
    £ 11,537.33

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely want more RAM...but Platinum!? 2 gigabytes!!?? That's a bit over the top, IMHO.

However, I think you'll find the ecc RAM will run slightly slower, not faster, than the straight rdram. the reason is that there is an extra 8 bits added to the bitstreams to ensure data integrity. Personally, I think it's hogwash but some people swear that it enhances data quality. At any rate, because of the extra 8 bits added with ECC, you will get a slightly (if noticeable) decrease in performance as it errors on the side of data integrity.

sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    You definitely want more RAM...but Platinum!? 2 gigabytes!!?? That's a bit over the top, IMHO.

Hey -- might as well, i was going to suggest three GB's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, it all depends how 'heavy' you want to get. I manage with the bits and bobs I have done with a single processor machine (Athlon 1300). Bear in mind that a-lot of software is not optimised for dual processor machines (although my main application of choice-After Effects, is I believe!).

Like I said, RAM is no.1 on your shopping list, this will make a big difference, and I def think that a dedicated drive for capturing video is a good idea... a nice clean disk that you format every once in a while will help you combat dropped frames.

If you want to do big projects, you are also gonna need ALOT of disk space, yet another reason to have a dedicated fast drive to capture with.

Yea, if you at all savvy with messing around with the guts of computers, you will get a far better deal builing your own (I have built my last 3 computers!!). You can concentrate on spending money on what really matters to you, and take shortcuts on things that don't.

One final point... you would def benefit from having a dual monitor setup too. This is as simple as fitting another graphics card (cheap PCI one), as I have done. This way you can have your timeline on one, and your movie preview and other palettes on another. Over the course of a month this will save you hours opening/scrolling/moving palettes around...really!!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips