SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEO, Websites, and Blogs

I've been creating websites for MANY years. I've been blogging for a few years. (Neither professionally).

I've got a pretty good grasp of SEO in both cases... Websites and Blogs. But, historically I've only done one or the other - It's either a website (sometimes CMS), or a blog.

I'm working on a new project which is really a website, but will include a blog (or blogs). The blog(s) would be linked from the main page, but it wouldn't BE the main page.

Are there any pitfalls to doing this, from a search engine perspective? Do search engines prefer that that the main page IS the blog, or is is irrelevant?

Thanks in advance.
    "Hi, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..."
    A few of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing~Death Etc.~Sebral~Café Sherrie~Champ Money

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Search engines don't care what your website is made up of; they care about the content. It won't make a difference whether your blog is on the home page or in a folder.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    especially with blog platforms being well coded and xhtml compliant - they can take a lot of the strain off

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909 View Post
    Search engines don't care what your website is made up of; they care about the content. It won't make a difference whether your blog is on the home page or in a folder.
    For my websites I noticed when checking the domain name in the SE (GG for instance), that the search engine shows both of them ... the index page of the website (first) + the URL of the blog (second) ...

Is it always like that ?