SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88

Thread: PR in freefall?

  1. #51
    SitePoint Zealot Gharibe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NY | US
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine is increased from 0 to 6
    google has changed Page Ranking algorithm and i almost know how it works
    Buying links is no longer works for increasing PR

  2. #52
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dude, this is really bad.But google has a good algorithm i think.All my sites upgrade on pr update bu they are about pr5 (not a pr 9 site i have, that is amazing)

  3. #53
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everytime someone says "PR is Worthless" god kills a kitten. You don't want kittens to die do you?

    None of my sites have lost any real PR in these few "punishment periods" the benefit of not playing fast & loose with Google guidelines. I don't use any artificial link building techniques. Having a 20k per month earning website drop in rankings from #1 to nothing is enough to teach you to be more careful in the future.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  4. #54
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,499
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Don't stress too much.

    I occasionally have litters of kittens to keep the balance.

  5. #55
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    By the way Sarah, how are those cats doing anyway?

  6. #56
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,499
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Off Topic:

    By the way Sarah, how are those cats doing anyway?
    They're trouble Dan. I've taught them everything they know.

  7. #57
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Then may God have mercy on all our souls.

  8. #58
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what i saw, accessify was selling text links in its footer to web directories. Its only a toolbar PR cut, you wont have suffered any real PR loss behind the scenes.

  9. #59
    SitePoint Enthusiast cheap freelancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google has penalized people for selling links and buying links, they want to monopolize buying and selling link business

  10. #60
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site dropped a few weeks ago due to Widgetbucks's hidden text links they placed inside their ads.

    I however care very little about that as PR has little to do with SERPs.

  11. #61
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,426
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheap freelancer View Post
    Google has penalized people for selling links and buying links, they want to monopolize buying and selling link business
    That's completely untrue. They only penalize sites that sell links for PR. Please get your facts straight before making such blanket statements that are obviously untrue.

  12. #62
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why stop there, John? Just get the facts straight and leave the fiction on the bookshelf where it belongs.

  13. #63
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest that he change his profile website to askstilllearning.info
    Daoist System Theory - DST
    Responsible Travel to Africa - ecoAfrica Travel
    Wing Chun and Taichi - Kungfu

  14. #64
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days back I read an article about several well known sites , for example forbes.com, losing their PR after the latest Google PR update. If it's truly about penalizing webmasters who purchased links to get their sites a higher PR , then I can see it only getting tougher from hereon.
    Meet like minded people sharing their success stories
    and tips to help you lose the weight you want and get
    the body you've always dreamed of. Just visit
    :
    http://www.thedietforum.net

  15. #65
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimize View Post
    A few days back I read an article about several well known sites , for example forbes.com, losing their PR after the latest Google PR update. If it's truly about penalizing webmasters who purchased links to get their sites a higher PR , then I can see it only getting tougher from hereon.
    What makes you think they lost PR because of "Link Sharing"? People just assume it was because of that. Maybe their content got stale, who knows...
    Daoist System Theory - DST
    Responsible Travel to Africa - ecoAfrica Travel
    Wing Chun and Taichi - Kungfu

  16. #66
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,426
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJKock View Post
    What makes you think they lost PR because of "Link Sharing"? People just assume it was because of that. Maybe their content got stale, who knows...
    1) PR has nothing to do with content (at least directly). It's all about links.

    2) When this happened it was very well documented that this was related to Google cracking down on link sellers

  17. #67
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris,

    Did this drop happen recently, and have you recovered since?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    Everytime someone says "PR is Worthless" god kills a kitten. You don't want kittens to die do you?

    None of my sites have lost any real PR in these few "punishment periods" the benefit of not playing fast & loose with Google guidelines. I don't use any artificial link building techniques. Having a 20k per month earning website drop in rankings from #1 to nothing is enough to teach you to be more careful in the future.

  18. #68
    SitePoint Addict Sensaay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had one or 2 sites with a PR of 2, now none of them have any pr

  19. #69
    SitePoint Guru marcel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimize View Post
    . If it's truly about penalizing webmasters who purchased links to get their sites a higher PR , then I can see it only getting tougher from hereon.


    It's getting better... not worse.
    No one should care about Google PR. To rely on Google Adsense or PR is madness. Google created those products for itself, not us.

    Just ignore PR. It's not worth any attention.

  20. #70
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my sites all fall by 1. PR 5 fallen to 4 and so on....

    I want to ask you all whether your traffic also effected or fallen down....

    Thanks!

  21. #71
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added "nofollow" to my links, and then lost most my advertisors from linkworth. I'm working on getting them back, screw PR.

    In regards to the traffic question, my traffic has actualy been up the last 2 months, so it seems it has had no effect.. unless its going to be a really delayed affect.

  22. #72
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    1) PR has nothing to do with content (at least directly). It's all about links.

    2) When this happened it was very well documented that this was related to Google cracking down on link sellers
    So what you are saying is that some of the people that linked to Forbes were actually involved in link selling and that Forbes not necessarily bought links?
    Daoist System Theory - DST
    Responsible Travel to Africa - ecoAfrica Travel
    Wing Chun and Taichi - Kungfu

  23. #73
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,426
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJKock View Post
    So what you are saying is that some of the people that linked to Forbes were actually involved in link selling and that Forbes not necessarily bought links?
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

  24. #74
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to lean towards not looking at PR as a "traffic indicator". The two don't seem to have any predictable correlation. If this is true, then I couldn't care if I had a PR 0. It seems that all of us are discussing PR rather then looking for ways to increase traffic. Is PR more important to you then traffic? How many of you can honestly say that your traffic had changed as the function of PR? There might have been a slight shift but I don't believe that you were either impressed or disappointed
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com

  25. #75
    SitePoint Guru marcel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gottarelocate View Post
    I'm starting to lean towards not looking at PR as a "traffic indicator". The two don't seem to have any predictable correlation. If this is true, then I couldn't care if I had a PR 0.
    My PR0 and PR2s make more money than my PR4 and PR5s. In fact, I don't like referring to domains as PR this and PR that. I get a ridiculous feeling every time I say it.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •