User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PR in freefall?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PR in freefall?

Not so long ago, my accessibility site was showing a *very* healthy PR9 and held that PR9 for a number of months, it later dropped to 8, then 7, and now I've spotted some data centres are showing a 5. It appears to have dropped massively, yet of all my sites it's the most well-established and has the most backlinks. This is the site:

http://www.accessify.com/

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the cause might be? I'll freely admit that I'm not a search engine placement 'watcher'. I know the techniques but don't really use any kind of tools or fret over the details. It is what it is, for me. But a drop from PR9 to PR5 begs a second look :-D
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lots of high PR sites are seeing their PR slashed dramatically with this PR update. At first glance many want to say that is due to Google cracking down on link sellers but there seems to be so many cases where this isn't true that it is hard to say exactly what is going on right now. Hopefully there will be some insight provided to us over the coming days and weeks.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, this most recent PR update seems to be giving some very strange results with no discernible reasons as to why.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think what the little green bar displays shouldn't be a concern at all - just keep an eye on traffic and positions.

As for the technical reasons for the drop - I'm under the impression that PageRank is based on a limited set, and that the larger the number of documents in that set, the more thinly everything gets spread around. May be wrong on this as my math understanding of the concept is weak.

Still, Google has stopped certain big sites from parsing PR to other sites, so it's likely to create a chain reaction. For example, if a single high PR site such as W3C is no longer able to pass on PR values, that will likely create a big drop in PR values for a whole chain of sites, whose higher PR values rested not on a wide spread of links, but instead from just a few single high PR link sources.

2c.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's certainly some kind of knock on effect but the extent that some sites seem to be effected does seem as though something has been significantly changed within the PR algorithm.

But as you originally pointed out, as long as a site is still receiving traffic and the SERP's aren't affected then it's not really worth worrying about too much and I'm sure all will be revealed shortly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    But as you originally pointed out, as long as a site is still receiving traffic and the SERP's aren't affected then it's not really worth worrying about too much and I'm sure all will be revealed shortly.
    The sites that did see a PR drop are still receiving the same traffic they always have. Partially because this data is stale and already factored into their rankings, half because PR != traffic. Hopefully this will help people understand how useless it is to monitor that little green bar.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Partially because this data is stale and already factored into their rankings
    Yeah, that's a good point. The PR toolbar is only showing the drop today but the actual impact of it (if any) would have been going on over the last 3 months (probably 5mths since the last update).

I'm sure Google wish they'd never introduced the PR toolbar. Does it have any impact on how you design your site or your SEO of a site other than people going out and attempting to buy links from high PR websites?

It's nice to be able to see it but I wouldn't be too sad if it disappeared altogether.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well ,the two explanations , 1. dilutional effect from lots of websites and 2. link farm (blog style) and link trading penalty.

Once the directories and blogs which are the foundation of juice melt down ,then all sites depend on their juice fall like dominos.
    But the little green bar reflected what's happenned 2-3 months ago ,and does nothing with traffic and SERPS..,I just wonder why many people talk about it so much on DP or othe webmaster forums.
    Last edited by dochost; Oct 25, 2007 at 11:16. Reason: misspell

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google could be downgrading articles and social bookmarks. That would effect alot of sites.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I'm sure Google wish they'd never introduced the PR toolbar.
    Probably not. The hype they got from it helped them get to where they are today. They may the negative consequences of doing it now but they might not be here today if not for the hype surrounding PR.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame. You have alot of content there. PR depends heavily on incoming links; have you lost any? Something you should pay attention to.
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either the scale used for the toolbar has changed (which it must over time, but this would be the most significant shift), or a massive number of links are no longer being counted when calculating PR, causing the resulting PR values to drop across the board (nature of the beast... any major change spreads through the whole calculation).

The more these cases get reported, the more clear it becomes that these PR changes aren't due to some new "penalty" but one of the two across-the-board changes above.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some big site dropped like free fall
    Alivedirectory
    Avivadirectory
    Problogger
    etc.
    Mine has 2 points down ,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all sites are dropping from the pagerank update, I have several sites that now have a pagerank of 3 and 4, last week it was 0.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several of my sites have gained PR, but my positions haven't gotten any better.

Don

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cluecase View Post
    Several of my sites have gained PR, but my positions haven't gotten any better.

Don
    That's because the information you see in the toolbar is stale. The PR you have is already factored into your rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could contact google for an appeal. Anyways, do link build for the meantime.
    Can't afford your dream house? Home Loan Calculator can help you.

Asian Tourism | Malaysia Property |USA Debt Settlement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site has dropped too... and this was as site that had pretty much been at the same place for about 4 years... just suddently dropped in the last few weeks. Traffic seems to be the same, so I guess I don't care.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here... dropped from PR5 to PR3... some sites retained PR....

It sucks, because many of us make money selling links predicated on PR - I wish they would do away with PR altogether, then people would pay for links based on more objective criteria, such as traffic, for example.
    -yasha78
    Ad-Network reviews and useful tips:
    WebsterFlooble.com - Last Updated: CasaleMedia
    GetRichandQuick.com - Laugh your a** off, learn something useful.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yasha78 View Post
    Same here... dropped from PR5 to PR3... some sites retained PR....

It sucks, because many of us make money selling links predicated on PR - I wish they would do away with PR altogether, then people would pay for links based on more objective criteria, such as traffic, for example.
    They just wouldn't pay anything for links on most sites currently being paid, as the percentage that have enough interested traffic to bring the same value as boosting SERPs at Google did would be tiny.

If you got rid of the PR display on the toolbar, and got rid of AdSense, and got rid of YPN, at least 75% of the sites on the web currently being monetized would no longer be. That's how it was before PR buying and the millions of spammers playing PPC arbitrage appeared. Search results were better because there was less spam that needed to be filtered in the first place.

Google created all of its own critical problems.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there

Ive had the same i was pr5 at one point now im pr2 lol, all a bit strange as my site is so much better now, but pr isnt somthing worth worrying about.

Woc
    ]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i saw a website which had a 7 PR and after these recent PR update, it was dropped at 3.

What a loss

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haxanstudios View Post
    i saw a website which had a 7 PR and after these recent PR update, it was dropped at 3.

What a loss
    Is that really a bad thing?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pr

On the other hand, there are alot of great information-type sites like totorials and forums that would not exist if not for Adsense.

The problem is not in AdSense, but how badly some people had decided to abuse it. If you look at some designs, you just know that they were not made for anything but to make money on adsense. I think if a site is well laid out and the ads are seemlesly integrated into the overall design, the ads are actually beneficial to the visitor. Any thoughts on that?
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was shocked to recently notice my sites pagerank has dropped from 6 to 3!!!

I do sell text-links on my homrpage through linkworth.com... somethings gotta pay for bandwidth and costs? So what am i supposed to loose all the paid links and a major source of revenue?

Another note, my sites traffic doesn't seem to be affected, the last 2 months traffic has been up. Still sucks though, I worked hard for that PR6, endless submitting of links and link exchanges.