SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What perks do you look for in a job?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Salary/bonus structure

130 81.76%
  • Health insurance and benefits

95 59.75%
  • A cool Aeron chair

24 15.09%
  • A big monitor/sweet computer

73 45.91%
  • Flexible dress code/work environment

105 66.04%
  • Vacation/sick time

96 60.38%
  • Great place to work - fun/exciting

112 70.44%
  • Challenging/exciting projects to work on

105 66.04%
  • Paid moving expenses

40 25.16%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

13 8.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ticked most of the options. For me the main thing is the salaray package and a generous pension plan must be included in that. In the UK, the government is eroding by stealth the benefits of the state pension and the private pensions by changing the tax regime (thanks Mr Brown). Companies have to step up to offer decent pension deals.

I'm also attracted by:

o a full order book. (I worked for a company once where the upcoming work for the developers was never more than 2 weeks. Interesting times when you only have a day of work left to do and no orders coming in).

o a growing inductry. I love the manufacturing industry, but in the UK there is not that much left, so jobs within that sector are few and far between and the numbers are reducing.

Those 2 are important to me as I'm a family man and need continuity of employment.

Here are a couple of put-offs:

o Companies that don't do telephone interviews. During the recruitment process I highly value an initial interview by 'phone. It means I don't have to take time off work and travel to their premises needlessly. It saves me much more time than it saves them, which is why some companies don't do it.

o Interview dress code. If I'm expected to wear a suit to the interview, I at least expect the interviewer to wear a shirt and tie regardless of the dress code of the company. To my mind it shows disrespect not to. I don't wish to work for someone who does not show respect at the interview stage. If the interview is to be conducted in normal work clothes, then this should be stated when the offer of the interview is made.

Mike

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The working environment is key. I would need the freedom to participate in the Sitepoint Forum discussions every day!!
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    salary is definitely important, but while my current job is fine in that department they suck at everything else (which is why I'm leaving... next week ).

For me the little things are important too, like dress code. Where I am now I have to dress pretty nice to just sit in a cubicle and hardly interact with people. My previous job I could wear shorts and a t-shirt.

My previous job was also pretty cool with working from home, that's a big plus for me.

As a Java developer I expect to be provided with an adequate development system. Adequate for Java is minimum 2GB RAM, although my current company refuses to give me more RAM. It doesn't sound like that big a deal, but it's really frustrating when they're asking you to meet deadlines and I'm sitting half the time waiting for my computer to finish paging data back and forth from the hard drive, it often just freezes for several minutes and I can't do anything. My next job it's a requirement that I get a decent system, otherwise I won't even accept the job.

What else was there, health benefits... that's nice and all but I'm in Canada so we get free health care anyway. Also I'm a contractor at the moment so doesn't apply to me. Although some health plans are better than other, I'd say if they offer eye care, dental, and physiotherapy it's a good plan. Those 3 are the only ones not covered by our government (don't quote on me that, generalized statement). The rest is useless to me.

There's probably more I can comment on this but I'm done for now

*edit: Ok work environment is important too, but it's hard to tell a thing like this until you start working there.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just got a great new job in Brighton (UK) I can now have my lunch sittting on the beach if I want to! I had not really appreciated just how much I personally value office location.

Oh, and having worked for three companies that went bust then company financial strength and longevity is also important!!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    Oh, and having worked for three companies that went bust then company financial strength and longevity is also important!!
    That's a great point... I too have worked for a company that went bust and company financial strength and staying power are a big deal.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing that your job matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very true... I'd probably put this second after salary. Again a huge problem with my current job. I feel useless here and it's the worst feeling. I won't bore you with the details of my current job situation, but it is important that your work is noticed and appreciated by your peers as well as those above you. If not it really ruins the experience (for me at least).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason people choose having a job over working freelance is stability, so vacation/sick time and health insurance and benefits are must-have when hiring.

Now, once hired, these people have to feel they are making progress or they will leave. Progress can be:
    • salary raises
    • learning new and useful stuff
    • taking new roles
    • getting to know great people
    • completing projects that they know will have a positive impact on other people

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First is salary, benefits and vacation. Since I have a family to support, that is what means most to me.
    The rest are important in some ways, but can live without as well.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I third that. This affects your chances of getting other perks (sensible hours, good environment, etc). I've only worked at two places as a paid developer, but there were some clear differences. In my current job, web dev jobs are seen as the bottom of the barrel, although I am the only one that does the most amount of coding in this place. So you can see it's not very tech oriented, and writers and designers get more perks.

My company was skeptical about expanding its online presence, so they end up having high expectations while taking small risks and expenses. So I end up getting the oldest computer set in the worst ergonomic position possible (I finally moved my monitor and keyboard to be directly in front of me), and expect me to work like Superman, on undocumented code no less. The environment is alienating, as I'm the only one that does this kind of work and have almost no interaction with my peers, other than my supervisor.

There's some good to come with all of this, however. This job has tested my limits and overall became a faster, more focused worker. I just rather prefer to do this with a team that I can actually discuss the problems with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it's as follows:

1) Healthcare/medical coverage
    2) Flexible time (as long as you get your work done, you're OK)
    3) Great place to work / fun
    4) Challenging projects
    5) Good computer / Dual monitors (the necessary tools to get the job done!)

Salary isn't a huge issue for me. As long as I feel like I'm being paid fairly and I like the work, I'm not going to fight over a few extra K's per year.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is important to me:
    - health insurance & benefits (especially health insurance)
    - location (what kind of commute is required .... is there any flexibility about working remotely)
    - comfortable ergonomic workspace (unless I can work from my home office)
    - schedule flexibility
    - salary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Salary's as important as my ability to pay the bills. If I have those covered I don't care too much about making more than that. And of course health insurance, but that's highly location-dependent and it's usually not a strong selling point for smaller companies.

I care a lot about the work environment and time off. I'm willing to give it my all at the office but my time off is my time so it's important I get vacations, etc. I'd also rather work with good people, regardless of the actual job I'm doing.

Finally, I personally put a lot of value on having a short commute. Having an office closer to my house is a big plus, with telecommuting options being an even bigger plus. I've turned down higher paying jobs just because I didn't want to sit in my car in traffic for 90 minutes a day, I like working from home that much (believe it or not I usually end up working longer hours from home vs when I was in the office). It also means my household only needs 1 car instead of 2, which is another big money-saver.

I love a good exciting project to code/design on, but as I get older and move up in my career I find myself putting less emphasis on the actual work and more emphasis on the people I'm around, be it clients, co-workers, or my family/friends outside of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the secret to hiring brilliant staff to be treating everybody as an adult and as an absolute equal. Pay at least the going rate and give every single individual a share of the profits coupled with the freedom to work at times that suit them ( This can be really useful if you are outsourcing or dealing with clients across different time zones ). I cannot put too much emphasis on making the workplace a bright cheery place where people enjoy being. Don't be stingy with the other stuff like music tapes, refreshments, snacks etc; they cost pennies in the scheme of things. Close the shop occasionally and take everybody out for for the day, encourage the people you work with to have their families visit so that everybody becomes part of a larger extended family. All of this might seem like your giving a lot away but what you get in return is staff that will walk on burning coals for you
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salary is a concern, but probably my smallest one were I looking to work for someone other than myself. Most important would be the work itself: Is it fun and exciting, are the projects cool and things I would use myself, or am I writing web-based bank administration software? The second most important thing is the working conditions. Is it relaxed and laid back with limited structure to make things easier? Will I have high-quality equipment and at least two monitors? Will I be able to install extra software I use to make my job more efficient?

I think you'll find that for most web workers and developers in general that salary is always the least important thing. They'll still say it's important because it is, but in the end they'll probably take a job below their ideal salary if they're working on fun projects within an awesome environment. Remember: good designers and developers fall into the category of "people who love their jobs"; they're not doing it solely for the paycheck. If they are, they're probably not worth having anyway.
    Call me Ishmael Tom.
    Nydus Media - We Build Websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mobyme makes a great point here about how to treat employees. I think the real thing employers in the Internet business are competing against is self-employment - the idea in their employee's minds that "I might be better off working for myself".

Granted, not all employees have this entrepreneurial bent but, for me, make it more valuable to me in salary, perks, work environment, security, share of the company, etc. to contribute my creativity and hard work to building your business than to building my own. Even better if I feel like I'm building "our" business...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salary does matter in the sense that almost nobody will accept an offer if the salary is lower than what they currently earn. Some may even wonder if you are trying to offend them.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadingstylez View Post
    - Paid moving expenses ( i will be looking to work in austrailia after grad..
    Be sure to apply with us if you're considering Melbourne. We've brought over two people from the UK.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poll covers alot of what would concern me, as well. I would have to add the ability to have flexible days and hours. That is of utmost importance to me
    PLRSMART - 100% Unique PLR Content http://www.plrsmart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binjured View Post
    Will I be able to install extra software I use to make my job more efficient?
    A friend just started a new job and she has to put in a work ticket to get a new font installed.

If your hiring someone to develop or program for you, assume they know computers.

If you can't trust them to install programs, don't hire them!

For myself, salary is important but I agree that work environment is really the key.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy cydewaze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, depending on the area, Telecommuting is a huge plus. I'm allowed to work from home two days a week, and those days are when I get most of my hardcore stuff done (no one to interrupt/distract me).

With a commute approaching 2 hrs each way, there's no way I'd have lasted this long without the telecommute option.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonus Scheme flexible and great working environment all important to me. My employees loved that they got the occasional Friday afternoon off (spontaneous). Free breakfast or Lunch is also nice

R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great place to work - fun/exciting
    Salary/bonus structure
    Challenging/exciting projects to work on
    Flexible dress code/work environment
    Vacation/sick time
    A big monitor/sweet computer

In the order of priority. I would honestly rather work somewhere with a good working environment and less pay then a grueling job where I come home from work burnt out everyday. A computer with 2 monitors would be nice also.

Personally, I am at a real crossroad at the moment. I am 19 and I have been working for myself creating websites in my local area in Queensland. But the idea of working on a larger job in a team is appealing to me. It is just a decision I will have to think more about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also ticked off all of the options in the poll.

Something I encourage anyone looking to hire developers to read is this article.

For me, salary and health insurance are given requirements for a new job. Low cost health insurance is becoming more and more important to me now as my family begins to grow. Salary is less important if the job is appealing enough to make you *want* to be there everyday. The article above really hits on that point over and over again. If I'm able to work in a fun and interesting environment, with great equipment and good projects, I'll take a lower salary.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ability to work from home at least some of the time, flexible hours, t-shirt & jeans, and shares in the company. Good developers have to move job to job if they want to maintain a competitive salary, but the chance of striking it rich if the company is bought out or goes public can be highly motivating...