SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jobs that require knowledge of more than 1 programming language (PHP, Perl, ASP)

I keep seeing many jobs that are very well paid, but im kinda confused at the level of expertise you need to have to go for them.

Im not looking for a job, im at uni, but i am curious.

Now i found a job that says you need to be fluent in:

- PHP
    - MySQL
    - HTML
    - Java
    - UNIX Scripting
    - XML

http://jobsearch.monster.co.uk/getjo...0&searchtype=1

Does this mean you have to know the languages like the back of your hand. When i see jobs like this im always curious, would they allow you to use manuals? would they expect you never to get problems?

It would be very hard to know all of the above like the back of your hand and never have to resort to external resources. This is my perception, it may be wrong.

I have seen jobs that require alot more knowledge then that aswell.

Anyone want to throw on some light.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the description it looks like they want you to know all of what they listed. While it's not particularly common for a java person to know php, its certainly not unreasonable to have those requirements. I haven't programmed in years and I'd still meet all of the language req's -- other than java. Java is universally used, MySQL practically falls under php these days, HTML isn't exactly advanced and standard XML is fairly straight forward.

Now where they start to reach and I see some room for flexibility is in the "nice to haves". Few app developers are also going to do good graphics or flash, but those aren't listed as mandatory. I suspect the organization wants someone who knows how to code in the languages they work in, and would also like someone with a creative spark and ability to pitch in as needed in that area.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most job descriptions that are grab bags of languages and technologies were written by plebs on their way to becoming suits. They don't know what they want at all.

The answer is that if you have a reasonable knowledge of the technology, you'll be fine. Of course you can use manuals, it's a job, not an exam.

It's only in architect positions that require massive experience that you have to absolutely bring your A game, because it;ll be your role to be the subject matter expert to the rest of the team.
    Bring out our hope and reason, before we pine away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've seen so many job postings that list 10+ technologies, but most applicants won't be experts in all 10, if you're an expert at half of them and have some familiarity with the others, maybe one or 2 you don't even know, you can still get the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems weird to require a knowledge of Java and Flash for the same persons, because the one who code in Java are basically not required to do graphic jobs, they might confuse Java and JavaScript however.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in the old school programming world, many of the different languages had the same roots, so it was common for programmers to know quite a few different languages. Even with web development, language roots are very similar (until you get into Ruby and some other off the wall languages that are gaining in popularity).

I know several different languages, and so do most people that I know. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask an experienced programmer to be proficient in several complimentary languages, such as PHP, Javascript, Perl, and shell scripting. If you know one of these, it should be relatively easy to learn the syntax and functions/methods of a new language and go to town. There will be some idiosyncrasies, but you shouldn't have a big learning curve.

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Java and JavaScript::no difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Borozdin View Post
    ...they might confuse Java and JavaScript however.
    In my experience (almost 40 years in the working world) those who are tasked with writing the requirements for any position in an organization have no grasp of the technology they list. There is a HUGE misconception that Java and JavaScript are one-in-the-same.

The most laughable listings for language requirements I have seen are:
    "must be proficient with Sequel" and 'PEARL' as a language.

To more directly answer your original question:
    You should not be expected to never refer to a book. That is absurd. But experience and solid understanding of the technology (meaning more than just the syntax of the language) is always valuable.

My father taught me, "You don't need to know all the answers, just know where to find them"
    Using reference books is only frowned upon by those who really don't know what they are talking about.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains