SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting height on table cell makes for arbitrary size in IE

I'm having some trouble getting IE to respect the CSS height given to a table cell. My background image for the page title is 71px high, yet if I give the cell any height at all it grows way in excess of the value I set.

For instance, the cell is set to 71px high in this example, however the cell is displayed approximately 166px high. The same page with no height set can be seen in this second example.

Setting the height on the footer cell gives similar problems. Having run into has-layout issues yesterday with the same page, I've tried a number of things which I hope rule that out.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andy
    From the English nation to a US location.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without any testing or looking at your code, my first assumption is that it's a padding issue. (Remember, padding+height = totalheight of element. Padding+height does not equal height.)

Now would be a good time to switch from <table>s to <div>s+css for layouts. You may have to learn a few things to get started, but you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The padding and margin on the cell are both set to zero. I'm a proponent of CSS, but for reasons too long and drawn out to go into here, it's a necessary evil to code the page this way.

Given the above, any ideas?
    From the English nation to a US location.