SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web hosting community - New

Hello everyone, I created a new web hosting discussion forum and I would like to hear some feedback. The software use is mybb with some modification to the default skin (logo, links, buttons).

The problem is that it's difficult to get it started so if you were a new visitor, what would you expect? What is missing that would make you join the community? Any advice would be appreciated?

The site is www.webhostingbb.com
    created 4-5 days ago.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks boring to me... you need a more flavorful image or layout at the top of the page to keep visitors interested. Your color scheme is okay... but again, nothing that makes me want to keep looking around the site. Maybe you could add some other features to your site so it's not just a forum (like a news feed, etc).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that at's clean but it's really doesn't catch an eye. I will agree that you may need a more attractive header. There are tons of such forums and I have to make something special, what people would like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a web page it doesn't catch the eye. But the overall layout is obviously okay in terms of structure. I would say the logo is a bit off... Maybe a more WEB2.0 logo would be better with glossy text instead of drop shadows... and maybe a big speech bubble of something with the text "brand new" inside it.

If you want to 'hoook' more visitors i would recommend putting some kind of header instead of just the logo. Like a photo of a massive field with your logo on the left and the slogan: "Discussing your hosting potential" ... or "join the newest and most upbeat hosting community on the web" ..

It does not matter if its tacky... Its just to bring some more color and action to the page..

And also. I know it sounds bad, but animations sometimes make a forum look more alive (even if its just advertisements)...

Obviously this is just my view.
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh those are very good suggestions!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBH it looks like you bought a forum template, put a five minute logo on it and called it yours. I'm not even sure why it's in the design section of these forums.

In regards to your logo, the overlapping text in the title and sub (G overlapping the H) doesn't work and looks squeezed and rushed.

SitePoint Member greg orym leach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the colour scheme and look are a little dated- try losing the blue background and replacing with white for a start...

Also, I appreciate you have tried to establish an identity with those colurs in the header, but they look quite 'muddy'- perhaps going a bit brighter might lift the mood a little.
    The quick links to the different forums are a good idea, but there needs to be some kind of hover state for the image links, and, if i was being reeeeealy picky, you need to tidy up your links or css on those, because on hover there is a 'space' that is underlined- look for spaces inside your links<a href="">like this </a>...
    I know the content generated by these things is supposed to be the reason they are there, but they need to be fresh and appealing- looking, and well- executed in order to survive...

Regards

Greg
    Last edited by greg orym leach; Nov 21, 2007 at 06:12. Reason: typo