SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our company's first foray into an advertising-driven website, and we're a little puzzled. We are pre-launch, and would like to round up some sponsors, but I'm not sure how to approach prospects. Everything I've read seems to indicate that you must emphasize the number of visits you receive in a month, and use that figure as a selling point. How would a site that has yet to launch make an attractive offer to advertisers? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't sell all of your future inventory, then you should consider using ad networks such as BurstMedia, eAds, and others. They deliver you advertisements in exchange for money.

The downside to this is that they don't pay as much as direct advertiser deals.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the thought of getting rich (rich in results in this case) can make an advertiser buy impressions before the site is up. Explain to them WHY, HOW, and WHEN. That is, why the site will succeed, how the site will succeed, and when the site will succeed.

------------------
    qslack@aboutpcs.com
    AboutPCs - think of a tagline and WIN!
    read my mind

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood. Assuming I could write a convincing enough pitch, would I still go with a standard CPM model, or should I try to entice them with a flat introductory rate? If so, what would that be? We have a geek-centric entertainment site, so the kind of visitor we expect to get is on par with other tech sites, such as slashdot.org and the like. They tend to charge in the $20-$30 CPM range, but we have no traffic stats to charge against. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommending lowering it a bit...use that to attract advertisers. Emphasize the fact that these lower rates won't exist once the site officially launches. Odds are you're more likely to find some sponsors this way.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. More questions though If I approach advertisers with lowered CPM rates, as you suggest, do I make any guarantee on the number of impressions I can generate? Because I really can't at this point, seeing as how we haven't yet launched. Do I come up with an estimate, and present a rate card based on swag numbers?

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bring it up...if they ask, answer with your honest opinion on the situation...remind them that the good thing about this type of campaign is that it's not simply for a certain period of time (IE: 1 month/$100)...they're guarenteed the amount of impressions they paid for, even if it takes a little while.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."