Thread: Please Help!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Help!

Hi All

Can anybody help please I am tearing my hair out here...

I have just started reading the sitepoint book entitled "Build Your Own Ruby On Rails Web Application" by Patrick Lenz

I have installed the necessary files and have initialised the update C:\InstantRails> gem install rails--include-dependencies

All this has worked fine however it is the next step that is really confusing me

The book then says...

The rails command takes a single parameter: the directory in which you wish to store your application. You can, and are encouraged to, execute it from the parent directory in which you want your new Rails application to live. I'll do this right in my home directory.

So the aim is to setup the directory structure which is according to the book involves typing the following code into the ruby console;

$ rails shovell
    create
    create app/controllers
    create app/helpers
    create app/models
    create app/views/layouts
    create config/environments
    create components
    create db
    create log/server.log
    create log/production.log
    create log/development.log
    create log/test.log

Everytime I try to type this code into the ruby console I get the following message

'$' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?? I would be really grateful if you could help me

Thanks

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The dollar sign is the command prompt. You DO NOT type that (but are expected to see that as your prompt).
    I have successfully initiated many Rails applications with command:
    rails application_name
    where application_name is the name I want to use. This creates a directory for you (below where you are).
    {depending on your distribution of Linux, you may need to issue the command with ./ preceding it (true Unix style)}
    The next step is to 'cd' to that directory and start using the "script/generate" command to build your models-controllers-views.
    Hope this helps.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks it is working now