SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first prospect

I've just found my first prospect. Or actually my prospect found me.

The project is mainly PHP video editing. Now my experience on the technical side of things is strong, but freelancing is something new for me.

I've already been browsing through this forum a bit, looking for advice. How should i deal with the following topics:

- legal rights to the code; by default, who owns the code after the projects completion? Also, what is the standard in this? In other words, should I be able to use the code I do for this customer in other projects?

- documentation process, what do you guys document, what forms do you use?

- online communication, best practices (use Skype?)

- special points of attention, things not to forget. For instance, I realized that I should better have hosting discussed, since installing video capabilities can be a pain.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing you should do is not to use a gmail account as your business e-mail address.

Pr default it's better to keep the right to the code. It's not in order to lock the customer to you, but to help you build a code base, which later will make it easier to serve customers faster. More over, if you keep the copyright it's easier to include stuff you've done before, without worrying handing over the right to stuff that actually belongs to you.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advice