SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review Template Site

In the world of free template sites its hard to actually find a website that is maintained regularly so i've stepped out and tried to create one that can offer a decent product for free.

Let me know what you think about the overall design and execution of how the content is displayed.

I try to keep the display of ads to a minimal, the design simple, clean, and easy to use.

http://www.templatebasics.com

Also if you can suggest any improvements please let me know.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice website... i don't have too much to comment about it. i really loved some of your premium templates maybe i'll even buy one when i don't have to design one for myself. i think you could implement Flash Templates, logo templates, menu templates. that will surely boost your traffic

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments nosfer! We're planning on adding flash templates, and logo templates in the future. Not sure if menu templates will be that effective.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Enough Graphics... Looks Very plain.... I get lost the second i get to the site, i dont know what to do next... Hope this helps

Needs more direction
    Wholesale Online Banners & Digital Printing
    www.IndustryPrinting.net

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted it to be plain and simple. Many websites today are weighed down with flash or large graphics that are not really necessary.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks good, I like the background contrast and the clean look and feel.
    The only thing I would suggest is adding a little more colour to the page content to liven it up a little. Perhaps some 'web 2.0' look and feel buttons or an image wouldn't go astray either
    Overall, nice job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was very simple and easy to navigate; I liked that. That's very important if you are going to have a templates site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Not bad, but...

...not having functioning links on your main page was a) very confusing b) disappointing and c) made me want to leave.

Specifically, I'm talking about the headlines "New MySpace Layouts" "New CSS Templates" and "New Website Layouts."

None of these links worked. If you're just testing the layout I understand, but you might want to put some kind of disclaimer on the page that the links aren't working.

My .02 cents...thanks.

-scottso

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work

Hi!

The design is very clean, which I like a lot. It's also very bare bones looking, but again, being a minimalist, I like this as well. The color scheme is easy on the eyes and I have an easy time navigating around. Nice job!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout, clean and to the point. I would add some type of search feature so as your library of templates grows it can be searchable.

Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty nice, very clean but very simplistic, I think it would be nice to tie in chosen templates from an affiliate template provider so you have more selection and can get paid if someone is looking for a pay template or something you havent created yet.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR00BS View Post
    Pretty nice, very clean but very simplistic, I think it would be nice to tie in chosen templates from an affiliate template provider so you have more selection and can get paid if someone is looking for a pay template or something you havent created yet.
    Not really sure what you mean... We have premium templates under the Premium Templates tab.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest putting some images, it seems very bland and dull. Maybe some images next to "New Myspace Layouts", "New CSS Templates" and "New Website Layouts". I would also suggest providing Wordpress themes. They are a HUGE hit right now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey John,

First off I would like to say I really love some of the premium's! Nice one.
    Also, I like that the site is very clean. A thought on the first page though: Why not put some of your visually most appealing templates there? Your selling something very visual and because of that, it might be a good idea to bung this in right on the first page.
    Bacause of the color's on top, it's quite easy to miss the topnavigation on your site (which I did ). I did really like the navigation on the right though, it really stands out and makes sense.

Cheers,
    Leonard

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The premium ones are really good ..
    very organized site...
    the navigation might need some color redesign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_DP View Post
    In the world of free template sites its hard to actually find a website that is maintained regularly so i've stepped out and tried to create one that can offer a decent product for free.

Let me know what you think about the overall design and execution of how the content is displayed.

I try to keep the display of ads to a minimal, the design simple, clean, and easy to use.

http://www.templatebasics.com

Also if you can suggest any improvements please let me know.
    The homepage is missing some graphics, makes it look empty and disappointing.
    The pics in the layout pages could be covered by a border with a show to make them stand out more and appear less flat.
    Too few layouts in the MySpace layouts page (have about 8 per page.)
    The View option is nice, but it's too slow.
    Not that easy to navigate because the links on the homepage are confusing. The last one points to the homepage itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site it is not as overwhelming as some of the other template sites. I was going to say you need some flash templates but see you plan on adding them. I would also think that maybe an editors choice section would be nice to help people narrow down some of the templates

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expected to see at least some template examples on the main page. It will surely make it more dynamic.

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great domain name!

Design is a bit bland, and the pages could use some extra content.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're working on coding a CMS system. What you see now is a basic idea of how the site will be.

All of the suggestions and comments thus far will be used in the final development of the site. I will keep you updated on the status of the project and keep the suggestions and comments coming!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website seems nice clean and fresh. yet i think there should be some templates in rotation on the front page too. Like a template being shown for 5 sec then another one showing for 5 sec and keep it coming. This will boost your sales i think.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have completely redesigned the site and I used a lot of your suggestions.

Please take a look: http://www.templatebasics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website in my opinion has tooo many different colours. Too vibrant in my opinion. However; having said that, the content is well put out and looks very web 2. lol.

I would definitely take a look at your logo. Develop that then redesign your site to compliment it.

Sadly your website is now Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict! that you have declared in your DOCTYPE. But at least it works in IE7 as well as Firefox. 2.0.0.9.

SitePoint Member greg orym leach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the look and feel (i likethe lime/ fuscia against the grey) and the concept of the site (manually reviewd and up- to date, no irritating flash, etc) is something I hold dear, so all is good there...

The only problem I could find is that the ad column pushes the content down the page in ie6/ win2000pro, but all is good in modern browsers (latest firefox/winxphome)

Keep it coming, we need this kind of stuff!