SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HarryF
    Also if PHP could interface to command line apps....
    ....then we would see a LOT of PHP security exploits.

MattR. Thanks for the response regarding my PHP in the enterprise question.

Though I think most of what you stated could be a problem with most, if not all web development languages. Yeah, replication is a problem, but when would it NOT be a problem? Ok, so cold fusion might have a little button that you press so push out updates to certain files on certain server. Homesite, has FTP and deployment capabilities that are scriptable. So you could do the same thing.

In windows NT/2k, there is something called Directory Replication. Which means one script could be deployed on one server, then pushed down to all the other servers. Whether or not replication is a problem, depends on how good the sys admin is

And also, lets not forget, that the www is very young. And ANY web language is gonna need some more time before its fully "Enterprise Ready".

Yes indeed, C++ is newer than C, but even if 1985 WAS the last time C++ was updated, compare that to the frequent updates to PHP. bleck

--cheers
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if PHP could interface to command line apps that expect a user response after being envoked.
    PHP4 always had a way to do such a thing ...
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.popen.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good PDF about what is coming in the future of PHP. Its mostly OO and class related, but a few other things as well.

Its a good read

http://www.zend.com/engine2/ZendEngine-2.0.pdf
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions from a newbie..

Hello!

First of all, im for sure an absolute newbie compared to the others in this thread, and that is why i would like to ask a few questions hoping some of you find the time to explain.

I have read this thread from page1 until page3, and of course i can't understand all topics yet, but a few of them made me wonder.

So here are my questions and please forgive me if those questions may sound stupid towards you (remember, you too had to start somewhere ).

First of all:

1) What the hell is PHP# (read PHP sharp) ? I know about C#, but i can't find a single bit of information on the net about PHP#.

2) Someone along this thread said that Microsoft is/was sued because of the creation of C# AND at the same time said that C# is sort of a copy of Java. Now, again, i could not find a single bit of information on the net covering this issue.
    Also someone said JSP is a very powerfull language, well, whilst i have never worked with JSP before, i do know a lot of people who say that JSP really has some perfomance problems.

I myself know a few sites that use JSP and if you one tries to open a few sites at the same time JSP simply dies. Nothing happens, it all gets stuck.
    Of course tihs could be due to bad coding or other stuff, but i dought it, since it happens different sites.

3) Someone said that it is possible to compile PHP code? If that is so, again i could not seem to find any info on that. I would very much like to know more about this. Could anybody help me with a link or alike?

4) Quite a lot of people in this thread said something about the DB functions in PHP are not good or chunky etc..? Would anybody care to explain that to me so i can follow them?

Last, i wish i could say anything about OOP at all, but sadly enough i don't play in the same league YET as many of you do.

But what i DO know for 100%, that PHP is for sure in NO WAY a PROGRAMMING language, it is a scripting language. So should't it be called OOScripting ? (don't take this too seriously..but im not that wrong am i?).

Well, i hope nobody isn't offended that i dared to ask questions in an advanced PHP forum whilst i am a "newbie"

Thanks a lot in advance for your time reading this.

Best regards from Vienna,
    datune

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem I can think of with PHP is it's poor XML support. Right now, you can read XML files, yes, and put them in arrays etc. But can you build XML files? Well, kind of...

You can build XML files line by line, with
    PHP Code:
    print "<Child>Node</Child>"
    But I would rather be able to see this...
    PHP Code:
    xml_build('Child'Node); 
    Aswell as building it to it's own flatfile (.xml) file, such as:

PHP Code:
    <Animal>
    <
    Name>Dog</Name>
    </
    Animal
    ... would be:

PHP Code:
    $start "xml_new('/xml_files/animal.xml', '/xsl_files/animal.xsl', '/dtd_files/animal.dtd')";
    xml_build('Animal','','o');
    xml_build('Name''Dog''v');
    xml_build('Animal','','c');
    xml_close($start); 
    Where animal.xml would be the XML flatfile output, animal.xsl would be the template file attached to it (where it would write that into the XML file), and the DTD file would be tagged with the XML file as well. The "o" in the xml_build means "open tag", "c" means "close tag", "v" means "value" (it has a value) etc.

That above example is very primitive, and it probably shouldn't look or work like that. However, it should be easy like that. As easy as writing tables to a MySQL database, or easier.

Then, finally, we could have the ability to make PHP forms that can build XML files based on textfield values!
    Coming Soon.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    datune:
    first of all, dont worry about being a newbie posting in the advanced forum, the advanced forum is for more advanced discussions, newbies can have those too you know.

I haven't heard much about PHP#, last thing I did hear was that is was just a concept, but that was a while ago. I believe it had something to do with PHP.NET (not the PHP site, the microsoft monstrosity).

and for JSP ... think about this, JSP is a scripted version of Java (nothing like JavaScript), but it is exactly the same as Java, when you write a JSP script, it is just like writing a Servlet, in Java (compiled), which is then parsed, interpreted, and executed by a Servlet, seems kind of redundant, doesn't it? you might as well just write a servlet, it would execute faster (not that java is that fast anyway). and I am not going to get into how bad JSP is with resources, or just Java in general ... this is a PHP forum after all.

to Anenga:
    why dont you write those functions? it would be simple enough ... PHP is very good for parsing after all, and what you described is very easy and simple. which is a good thing, I often see people trying to make things that are so complex that they end up with something that doesnt work very well, and is very obscure.