SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can blogging help me get a real job?

I'd like some opinions from people around the world. While I've been working as a freelance developer for a few years, my day job is as a marketing/project manager at a South African chemical engineering company.

I have no formal qualifications, but with 12 years experience under my belt, I know at least as much as the engineers I work with. That said, it's still going to be very difficult for me to ever get a good job in my industry in another country (which is what I'm ultimately aiming at).

So I've been thinking about starting a blog in my field, specializing in articles aimed at engineers. The ultimate aim of the blog will not be to make money, but to show prospective employers my capabilities, knowledge, ability to write, online marketing skills, etc.

Do you think an employer would take my blog into account when deciding to hire me, or am I wasting my time?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well depends ... if you are planning to blog like what you do on your work or hows your day then that's great. Its like blogging is sharing your tots.

Maybe sometimes your tots that you were sharing might be helpful to some. I think blogging is not a waste of time. You share what we all want to learn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blogging can DEFINITELY help you get a job, but it can also hurt you as well. It's all about strategy. A blog is a good way to demonstrate your knowledge of a subject. I have had a couple of job offers come from my blog over the past couple of years. if you write great content about your topic at hand, it can help. If you show that you don't actually know your field very well, that can hurt you obviously.
    Sara

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its certainly not a waste of time. Your blog, if well-made, will definitely be a great contributing factor for you to be chosen. Although its not necessary, it is a good way to show of your skills, knowledge and above all, your desire to be always at the forefront of the industry.

Whether an employer would look at your blog when deciding to hire you also depends on what kinds of jobs you seek. If its related to more on writing, marketing skills, then most likely they would take the time to look.

How you higlight the blog when selling yourself is also important. Putting a link on a follow up email is good, it makes your blog one click away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Depends on your role

IMO it really depends on the role, if you are seeking a developer role you might be better suited using your time to create an awesome cv and portfolio.

It would show initiative and can't hurt - hesitate to post personal things though as you may lead them to think you will post about them on it!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have colleague blogger, he got hired for his blogs but that's for a writer position though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your input. I've been speaking to a few friends of mine who run traditional bricks and mortar businesses.

I asked their opinion on hiring an established blogger for a non-internet related job. In a nutshell, they don't really even understand what blogging is, never mind the benefits of hiring someone who clearly knows their topic and how to market to a target audience.

To sum up, I need to (a)find a prospective employer who understands blogging, or (b)convince someone to hire an experienced 'published author' rather than a graduate.

I think I may be wasting my time for now. Maybe in a year or two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can start the project. When they hit google and find your insightful posts, they'll understand. Many people don't understand blogging either and still read my content. They just come for the content through google or other links. I would start it. Don't kill yourself over it, but do try to provide interesting content. In 1-2 years time you might thank me

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubbery View Post
    To sum up, I need to (a)find a prospective employer who understands blogging
    They will probably find you if you start your blog!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amurorx View Post
    Its like blogging is sharing your tots.

The Writer Site, my site for writing samples.

The PLR, my new PLR site. Categories are regularly being added.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely would help.

by posting helpful information on the field that you are in, you are establishing your expertise. When people know that you know, they'd definitely choose you over others. Even if they are at the opposite end of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it, but don't necessarily sell it as a blog when you're applying for a job. A "blog" is simply a very narrow definition of a certain way to display content you've published, so referring to it as a "website" is just as accurate.

I'm not saying you should spend too much time on it, but having a blog and writing insightful articles once or twice a week, and it will certainly be an asset when applying for a job. Just make sure to put some effort into it however, write accurately and be careful about spelling, grammar and all those things, because once it's part of your application, those things will matter.

The really exciting part about blogging though, is that if you market your blog properly, and it shows your expertise, it can actually bring you job offers as well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lars-Christian, I think you've raised some decent points here. Selling it as an online teaching resource or industry news portal rather than a blog would probably seem a bit more professional. It'll still be a blog, but without the over-commercialized aspects so many other blogs are keen on.

And posting once or twice a week isn't too much of a time commitment.

Thanks.