SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another language that could help me grasp PHP better

I have the ability to take some C Sharp classes. Would this in any form benefit me in learning and fully grasping PHP and other languages down the road?

Also, how do I go about learning structures such as MVC etc. Should I learn theory and then attempt to apply ? Or should I take up something like Ruby on Rails that I believe runs off that structure, so I get a better understanding of it.

I don't have much problem with procedural programming, but as soon as I exposed myself to OOP I am quite confused and not sure how to go about applying it logically to applications I may build now or in the future. I personally believe if I am forced to program like OOP, I will gain a better understanding. So if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Any tips, same problems, or how you went about better understanding PHP would be great. Thanks !

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I suggest:
    Find a good book on the basic concepts of OOP. If you are, generally, a "jump right in and try it" personality Object Oriented Programming can be daunting (and confusing). C# is highly Object Oriented (unlike VB), but, depending on your experience and aptitude a class may move along too fast.
    Secondly, PHP owes its roots to PERL. There are many good books on PERL and you can 'practice' on just about any hosting you find.

{My 2 cents. I expect change}
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains