SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freelance Coding - Getting Overflow Work

I'm currently finishing up my BS in Computer Science (career changer) and have been working doing programming (PHP, .NET, a little .JSP) for the past 3 years as an employee of a local website project manager.

Low pay, good experience, regular hours, flexible schedule, easy to work with boss - just the kind of thing that's great when I'm going to college full time but not so great once I get back into the real world come January. He has a group of designers he works with (I'm the only programmer) and he really doesn't seem committed to expanding his business to require my services full time after graduation. In fact, I'm much more interested in satisfying his clients, properly handling projects, and generating referrals than he is.

So, I'm looking to get in touch with local web designers and developers looking for a programmer for freelance work, another project manager that needs additional programmers, or other programmers who have overflow work.

I have a code portfolio that includes several dozen projects encompassing a wide variety of skillsets including some big name and national clients so I can demonstrate my experience - I'd just like some advice on approaching designers, project managers, and other developers about freelance work.

If you're in one of the above categories, how would you like to be approached by a programmer and what would get your attention and persuade you to at least take a look at what I have to offer?

Thanks!

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound like a great prospect for someone already. I think you are already on the right track. Just like it is hard for good buyers to find good programmers, the reverse is true also.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to go freelance or do you want the "security" of a real job? What's your goal for the next 2 years?

If you want to go freelance and you say that you are great at customer service, I'd recommend getting out of the subcontracting business and look to market yourself directly to local clients... and then subcontract out the web design piece if you want .
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look and see if there is a Refresh organisation near you (I'm a little hazy about exactly where Ohio is...)

They are great places to network and meet other local freelancers/agencies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm looking to get to know local designers/developers, network with possible future project partners, and get a little revenue going. My 5 year plan is more product/software as a service based (definitely entrepreneurial) vs. freelance or project management but I need to start paying the bills in the meantime.

I'll look into Refresh as well - thanks.
    Last edited by milenko1054; Oct 19, 2007 at 05:33. Reason: Typo