SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.net in a linux environment?

Is there anyway to run .net in a linux environment?

In short my main server is a Linux box, and my new job is pure .net. So I want to run .net on my server so I can get some more experience and start programming my personal projects in .net.

I'm currently running everything locally and via ip from my home system for my .net toy projects, but I don't want to release any real sites running off my home comp. Anyways, enough ranting, any ideas?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mono Project is what you are looking for:

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's possible, you have to use Mono - a .NET implementation for Linux currently cupported by Novell. You can also use MainSoft products that can be used for integration of the .NET products into the the cross platform IBM WebSphere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why...why god why?! If you want to use .net get a windows box..leave pure Linux out of it.
    www.invoicejournal.com - Invoice clients for Free

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get a cheap .NET webhost rather than try and learn .NET on linux. Main issue is that things change fast in the .NET world and the linux stuff tends to be six months to a year behind MS in many things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    I would get a cheap .NET webhost rather than try and learn .NET on linux. Main issue is that things change fast in the .NET world and the linux stuff tends to be six months to a year behind MS in many things.
    Sure, the community maintanted project will always lag behind on the other hand it all depends on what Microsoft wants to achive in the Linux world having a partnership with Novell. Anyway, the essential features must work in the same way. By the way, Silverlight was designed to be cross-platform unlike his elder brother WPF.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thanks for the information. I was thinking about getting a cheap .net box. But with already having a dedicated server I just wanted to explore that option a little bit. I'm already spending enough money on my current setup and I'm not using anywhere near what it has to offer.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I forgot the dedicated box angle. If you have a spare IP, and can get your hands on a legit copy of Windows 2003 Server (or Windows 2008 Server RC0 if you are brave), you could use VMWare and run the .NET stuff on a windows virtual box on your linux setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Borozdin View Post
    Sure, the community maintanted project will always lag behind on the other hand it all depends on what Microsoft wants to achive in the Linux world having a partnership with Novell. Anyway, the essential features must work in the same way. By the way, Silverlight was designed to be cross-platform unlike his elder brother WPF.
    There were some times where there were major differences. Biggest one was when ASP.NET went 2.0 and Mono took a while to get there. Now, things have stabilized alot since then so you might not see that scenario again, but it should be noted.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, I could use VMWare. I have a legal, Educational, version of Windows 2003 server. It's still educational purposes right? hmm, I might do it this way.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know what the overheads on a linux server are for running the additional software?

Join the club john in exactly the same situation Have a local development box that I ran up with XP Pro if that's any help.
    www.scaryminds.com ScaryMinds - horror's last colonial outpost.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm leaning towards pushing my laptop live. I have a fiber connection to the house, but i'm gonna have to secure my system a little more before I start opening it up.

Though if anyone is open to trading some space on a windows box for some on a linux box i'm all for it. hehe.