User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zend Studio

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean for Java or PHP? If you mean using Eclipse for PHP, I wasn't aware that the plug-in was so far advanced.

I agree that Eclipse for Java is far ahead of any PHP IDE. I tried making a Java->PHP translator so that I could use Eclipse IDE and write my PHP applications.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    Hm. Doesn't sound like a very useful feature to me. To have got into a situation where you need to do this, something in your development process is very very broken .
    Oh? Remote debugging doesn't necessarially mean you're debugging on a live server, but rather that you're debugging code that's being executed on a machine other than the one the IDE is running on. This is extremely useful cases such as my own where my personal workstation is running Windows, but all the php I write runs under Linux. Remote debugging means I'm able to code and debug in the native environment that my code is targeted at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sike
    hi,

i mostly develop my stuff with eclipse, especialy if i need a good php5 editor.
    some features i like :

- good class browser (the only i found that works with php5)
    - intuitive control keys (e.g tab on a selection indents)
    - good highlighting
    - checks for syntax errors and marks them
    - a lot of other editors (eg. css, javascript, xml...)

Sike

edit : WOW that jpg is big. sorry for that
    Which PHP plugin are you using? Any? I've tried a few of them and all so far have had a number of problems. Untill I get one that is just as good as Zend I'll have to stick with it, but Eclipse for everything else, it's the best IDE (IMO) around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_Relic
    Oh? Remote debugging doesn't necessarially mean you're debugging on a live server, but rather that you're debugging code that's being executed on a machine other than the one the IDE is running on. This is extremely useful cases such as my own where my personal workstation is running Windows, but all the php I write runs under Linux.
    Oops. OK, I see what you mean. I am so used to being surrounded by unix boxes, it didn't even occour to me.

Apologies .

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper_SB
    Which PHP plugin are you using? Any? I've tried a few of them and all so far have had a number of problems. Untill I get one that is just as good as Zend I'll have to stick with it, but Eclipse for everything else, it's the best IDE (IMO) around.
    a cvs version of phpeclipse ( http://www.phpeclipse.de/tiki-view_articles.php )

SIke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to prevent Zend Studio to sort alphabetically methods in classes in Project Inspector ? I have some logic in the order of this methods and Zend makes a mess by sorting them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a Linux user myself, I use Quanta for my PHP development. Under Windows I just used HTML-Kit, wasn't a bad program, but wasn't all that great either (basically it gave me syntax highlighting, and some indenting stuff. I wasn't too motivated to look for something better though).

The one thing I like best about Quanta is its built in FTP client. I find FTPing files under Windows Explorer to be a real pain. I'm looking at getting Zend for Windows development, but eclipse sounds interesting too, so I need to investigate that as well.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I tend to flirt between platforms, I use MacOS X, Linux, and Windows 2003 for my work. My computer at work is a Mac, and my home PC mainly works of Win2003. Between all that I have Linux servers both at the office and at home, and so I also use Linux in between.

As a result, I use jEdit a lot. it works very nicely on all platforms and offers eveything I want minus the class tree. At home I also use Ultraedit a bit and Notepad2 to edit stuff from WS-FTP.

jEdit is small and compact for a Java app. The only thing is it's a little slow at loading on the Mac.

I heavily dislike Zend Studio. For a start as a GTK type app, it completely screws up on my home PC as I have a dual 22in monitor setup, and therefore it cocks up if I put it on the slave monitor as the menus don't show properly.

Zend studio looks ugly too, and is sluggish. Least Swing apps are skinable.

-- Jason

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sike
    a cvs version of phpeclipse ( http://www.phpeclipse.de/tiki-view_articles.php )

SIke
    Sorry I'm new to Eclipse. How would I make use of that?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only just purchased a licence for Zend 2.5 and so far I find it easy to use, though now and again the whole thing freezes for about 5 seconds

I assume this is due to my box, as I only have 128Mb Ram but has anyone else used this and found this hazzard in their day to day use ?

That and the annoying fact I need to right click on the file tab to close a file every time, what happened to the X button huh ?

Apart from that, I suppose it's not all that bad, kind of miss the CSS reference I have with DW MX though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Zend 2.5 a lot in my day to day use too. No hiccups like yours though. The only issue is that the initial program load is a tad slow, even on a fast computer.

2.8 ghz, 512 mb ram

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that bother a while back when I downloaded a trial version, though with this full application, the program loads pretty quickly.

But I have noticed that if I have a lot of applications opened, ie 5 for example, and Zend is minimised, it'll take about 8 seconds to maximise fully, ready to go like.

So might not be my box after all then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using 2.5 I'd fully recomend downloading the trial version of 3.5.1 and try it out it's MUCH impoved way better then 2.5 ever was

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsigo
    Sorry I'm new to Eclipse. How would I make use of that?
    I find the phpeclipse.de site extremely confusing. I've been working a while with it though, and it's quite nice.

You must copy the phpeclipse module into the eclipse/plugins folder.

I'm going to try out the other PHP eclipse plugin (phpeclipse.com - not related). The have a bundled installation download (Eclipse 3 + Plugin) that should hopefully be easy to install. The basic version of the Prgram/PlugIn is free.

does not play well with others frezno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Widow Maker
    I've only just purchased a licence for Zend 2.5 and so far I find it easy to use, though now and again the whole thing freezes for about 5 seconds
    that never happened here but, as already suggested, an upgrade to 3.5.1. would make sense. Definitely improved to 2.5.

Also more RAM wouldn't hurt, though

That and the annoying fact I need to right click on the file tab to close a file every time, what happened to the X button huh ?
    You can right click within the window as well (no need for using the file tab) or you use Shift-F4.
    But you're right, that's also something i dislike.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
    I'm Pentium of Borg.Division is futile.Prepare to be approximated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Zend Studio 3.0 and UltraEdit for my programming implementation. I found Zend Studio is really good for PHP editing. However, the initial process is absolutely making me crazy. I'm using the IBM ThinkPad 600 (PII 300, 192MB Ram, bought since March 1999) with windows 2000 professional. When I start the Zend Studio, I can use this period (minimum 5 minutes) to make a cup of coffee, have a short break or get some nuts. When I'm using it, every process is similar as slow motion in the movie. I think I have to buy a newest computer for my work soon.

Anyway, I love both of Zend Studio and UltraEdit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will admit I am a Zend IDE junky. =) I love using it, and have used it since 2.5. Earlier version didn't make me happy, but when 2.5 came out, and with a promise of CVS support in 2.6, I went ahead and made the purchase. I haven't looked back since.

The latest version, 3.5, is a huge improvement. One of the best things about Zend for me is the cross-platform nature of the program. I regularly use Windows, Linux, and Mac desktops, many times all three in one day, and with Zend, I can take my tools with me across these platforms.

Yes, yes, I am a zealot, I love it. But hey, I really like using it.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using UltraEdit ever since (before that TextPad), and really don't see any reasons to change. UltraEdit is fast, reliable, has all the color syntaxing you can think off (if that's an important issue for you), and costs like nothing compared to Zend.