SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is it okay to ask for testimonials?

Hi everyone,

I would like your opinions on obtaining testimonials. Is it improper to ask your clients for testimonials? If it's okay, should you give them something in return? Like maybe offer them a 10% discount, if they provide you a testimonial?

I have a couple of clients that I feel would have no problem providing me one, but I feel strange asking them. I don't want to put them on the spot.

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to ask for a testimonial, and no, you shouldn't need to pay them for it! If they genuinely like your services, they should be only too happy to provide.

I always ask at the end of the project when the client is buzzing. Typically I just pop over an email - I ask if they will give me a testimonial and point them to my testimonials page to give them an idea of what I am looking for. I'll also usually tell them specifically which areas of my service I'd like them to focus on (if possible). Professional business people love all this stuff, so don't feel embarrassed asking.

To give the testimonial some credibility, try to get a photo of your client. I do this wherever possible - luckily most of my clients have photos of themselves on their sites already, so I can use them (with their permission).

While you are at it, ask them if they know anyone who would also benefit from your services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you give them a free link to their website they'd probably be happy to oblige.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just built a site that uses testimonials, and the company owner email some customers thus:

Dear so-and-so,

We are updating the company website and need a one or two line comment from various customers. Would you mind providing one?

Thanks in advance.

It worked well, but be sure you have a decent relationship with them.