SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promoting a web directory

Other than submitting to search engines and all the directories I can, can someone offer some tips on ways to promote a fairly new web directory? Submitting to directories might be good for backlinks and PR down the road but don't seem to really bring any traffic. While concentrating on getting links to my site I would also like to learn ways to get traffic to my site for submissions on limited funding. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

-Jim

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Promoting directories is difficult because there are a million of them out there and they offer very little benefit to any websites that link them. Why would someone who doesn't run a directory want to link to one?

Basically you'll need to use sites like directorycritic.com to get the word out there about your directory.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the general directories suffer from focus. They offer neither breadth or depth, so they really can't generate critical mass. Only the really really HUGE ones are able to somewhat overcome this.

More niche directories are needed, though, that focus on depth in specific areas. In other words, think about repurposing your code to a specific topic.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally never use directories, the only time I ever surf to one is on accident from a search engine, I agree with the above post, they need more niche directories if anything.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the posters above that general directories are very hard to promote. I run a few specilized directories and it's much easier to do SEO and promote them...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run a directory, now it kinda just sits there. The way most directories take off is through word-of-mouth. If you web directory can offer a lot to your customers, they will come. You can do this by having a high PR. Thats about it. Work on that. Also, make sure your design is an A+. Looks matter with directories, so make sure you stand out. Add useful websites to the directory until it looks decently full.