SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Optimising an Image Library

Hi

Just want to say thanks to everyone who is involved in this forum. Some really great advice. Amazing sticky threads...slowly going through the various resources mentioned.

I have an African Stock picture library where a number of photographers contribute their work. I would really appreciate a few thoughts from a few experienced SEO gurus! :-) A lot of the advice and tips in threads are for text rich websites, rather than image rich sites. I have tried my best to convert it to my application. I hope that I have converted the wisdom correctly. (i must admit I am still quite uncertain what constitutes different content and what's the minimum amount of content)

I want to ensure that each image page is optimised for the title of the pictures as provided by the various photographers. I have put all my knowledge so far together into SEO (read various forums posts etc). I'm always learning new things which is exciting.

We have various titles within a subject that photographers provide. Let's say I have 50 pictures that are titled "cheetah", 25 titled a little more "cheetah playing" or "cheetah cubs."

They all have different keywords, filenames, and location data. The only content that I have is what the photographers have provided.

Please have a look at this page as an example and see if there are any gaping errors or faux pas that I have committed. Remember that i have 50 different photos all called "Cheetah" with slightly different content for each, but not too different. How do I get Google to view each page as different and index them? (I have added the filename into the title to ensure that at least every title is unique) What are your thoughts on my use of headings?

http://www.africapic.com/cheetah-pictures-5623.html

Many Thanks for your thoughts

Alex
    Free Africa Pictures for web use|

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was my answer in your other thread not satisfactory?

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your answer has been very helpful and much appreciated. :-)

I am looking at how I can make it more friendly.

To respond to 2 points you made:
    1) Unfortunately, I have had to include the filename in the title to make sure it is slightly different. I have a whole bunch of titles with more info e.g. "lions playing" or "lions with cubs", but there are still a lot of titles with just the word "Lion". It is these that I am trying to optimise each page for. It is not feasible to go through the whole library and add more detail to all of these. The system is database driven, that uses the Title tag in appropriate places.

2) I am looking at changing the layout as you suggested. Going to compact everything a lot more. A concern that I have with adding more generic content is that it will dilute the unique titles that i have, and thus more likely flag as duplicate content. I had a quick link to other galleries, but found that Google no longer indexed about 2000 of my pages when i put this feature in. So i have removed it now! I figured that with the new content, it found them too similar.

I posted this thread, to see if there any glaring mistakes I am making on the SEO side. E.g. use of headings and duplicate content issues? I agree that I want this site incredibly user friendly and simple and appreciate all your advice.

So yes, your advice is really good and most appreciated. I look forward to some more good ideas. My site is quite new, and I really need the advice of those who have walked this road before me. Thanks :-)

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed is that when you click to next or back to previous image, the title isn't working. Instead of the title of the picture it says, [TITLE] Pictures - [TITLE] Stock Photography.

I wonder if your javascripts aren't fighting each other?

Speaking of javascript, search engines won't read it. So what have you done on your sight to work around that?

Also going forward three clicks, the picture shown isn't a cheetah, it's a hyena.

I really think you would benefit from posting your site in the review my site area of SitePoint. You have several issues that could be addressed there and the better you make your site, the better you'll do overall.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely do that now and try and sort out that bug.

Alex