SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question vwd first question, where did the graphics go

Okay was working on me first form in design mode, following a pretty intro text here, and noticed something real strange.

Added a web image to the form and then hit the image url find thingy to add an image to it. The selection fille types were your standard jpeg, jpg, gif etc but it didn't show any of the gif files I had in the directory I was using (yes browsed to the correct one). When the path was added manually the gifs popped onto the form, which was actually a pretty cool aspect of vwd.

Okay so when I ran the debug thing to see the form in action the gifs didn't show up in the browser. A big huh? Even checked behind the sofa (so that's where the left over pizza from last saturday went).

Am I missing something, did resize the gifs on the form in desing mode, do I need to load a graphics handling package? Thinking in terms of GD for php there, know there's an equivalent for windows scripting languages.

Hope that makes some sort of sense
    www.scaryminds.com ScaryMinds - horror's last colonial outpost.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP.NET can have some bewildering file pathing issues to a newbie. Where these images in your web form or in your master page or in a user control?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    ASP.NET can have some bewildering file pathing issues to a newbie. Where these images in your web form or in your master page or in a user control?
    Had a form I guess, the .aspx page. On it had an image container from the tool box. Was putting the imagine link into the imageurl property (actually thinking about it should have used "/" etc rather than "e:\" I guess). Still don't understand why I couldn't browse the gifs via the "..." button in the imageurl property

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you copied the gif into the folder, from outside vwd, you often need to refresh the solution explorer before you can find the file from within vwd.

And never use system paths ("e:\") in your websites, they wont work when you put the site online, or if you move the website to another location.

Try instead to use relative paths. The (~) can be used as an alias for the site root.
    like this: "~/Images/file_name.ext"
    zalucius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you load images that outside of your solution directory? I strictly recomment to keep all the solution related files in the solution folder.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salient View Post
    Had a form I guess, the .aspx page. On it had an image container from the tool box. Was putting the imagine link into the imageurl property (actually thinking about it should have used "/" etc rather than "e:\" I guess). Still don't understand why I couldn't browse the gifs via the "..." button in the imageurl property
    The browse only works within your solution, so you will want to add the files to your solution first.

As for troubleshooting, the best thing to do is to check the image url in the html output and then take things from there.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zalucius View Post
    If you copied the gif into the folder, from outside vwd, you often need to refresh the solution explorer before you can find the file from within vwd.

And never use system paths ("e:\") in your websites, they wont work when you put the site online, or if you move the website to another location.

Try instead to use relative paths. The (~) can be used as an alias for the site root.
    like this: "~/Images/file_name.ext"

zal just starting out so the stuff I'm working on is purely learning and not for a productions site, take your point though, should start with all guns blazing and do it correctly.

Thanks for the "~", now that's simply cool. So you don't need to define a root global for use in the Project! Awesome loving this stuff already.

Okay how do I refresh the project, is there an option on one of the drop down menus in the IDE ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar scenario happened to me last weekend. It was my first time with VWD and downloaded and installed a starter kit that worked fine in the browser but can't see the images in design view....

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post
    Similar scenario happened to me last weekend. It was my first time with VWD and downloaded and installed a starter kit that worked fine in the browser but can't see the images in design view....
    Weird huh, haven't gotten around to doing the refresh thing yet as am caught up upgrading one of the servers. But will report back later this evening when I give it a go.

On the bright side am now a dab hand at "Hellow World" apps in asp.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salient View Post
    zal just starting out so the stuff I'm working on is purely learning and not for a productions site, take your point though, should start with all guns blazing and do it correctly.

Thanks for the "~", now that's simply cool. So you don't need to define a root global for use in the Project! Awesome loving this stuff already.

Okay how do I refresh the project, is there an option on one of the drop down menus in the IDE ?
    At the top of the solution explorer, you should see som icons, for properties, refresh etc... press the refresh button and the solution exporer now include all new files.

But, if you have been working on this for several days, and the images still wont show up, it is probably not the problem... (solution explorer should be refreshed when you open a website...)

I bet it is in your paths the problem is.

One quick and dirty solution could be to goto design view, and drag an image from solution explorer onto your website, then go back to source view and look at the path for the image.
    zalucius