SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New to blogging - couple of questions

I am getting ready to enter the world of blogging. I have been doing lots of research, so this post isn't about getting ground up ideas, more just technical assistance.

I am thinking of using something like www.blogger.com to post blogs to my site. I need the capability to post blogs without having access to my actual website upload files stored on my computer at home. Do you with experience recommend this or another third party provider?

With a third party provider, can I still use AdSense, TextLinks, or other revenue generating option?

My last question is this....my site supports 6 different high profile people that will actually be doing the blogging (content specific to their area); each has their own unique e-mail, but share space on the site. Can all of them utilize the third party provider and post blogs to their part of the site?

Does this make any sense?? Sorry if I have confused anyone.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can use adsense etc with blogger but not wordpress.com (probably the other free wordpress platform you'll be looking at)

as far accessing your blog away from home, you can access your blog control panel whereever you are so that shouldnt be a problem (ie. you will rarely have to actually upload anything via ftp because most blogging scripts let you do this via the control panel)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Word Press is very popular, but how do those that use it generate revenue from their blogs since you can't use AdSense??

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well short answer is that you can't. Hosted blogging sites are fine for those who want to use personal blog or who want to test the water with a certain topic or whatever but if making money from the blog is a big concern you should get some cheap hosting for $5 a month and host the blog yourself. You would then have 100% control over how your blog is run.

If your a bit reluctant to do that then theres no harm in blogging on blogger or wordpress.com for a few months and then move to your own domain when comments etc increase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have the adsense ads on the wordpress blog through plugins.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress.com does not allow Adsense. But WordPress.org does.

Quote Originally Posted by botrishlaw View Post
    I know Word Press is very popular, but how do those that use it generate revenue from their blogs since you can't use AdSense??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to register ur own domain name and use paid hosting services installing wordpress.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is if youe already set at what you want to do. If youre new at blogging, starting with wordpress.com will prepare you and your blog for better results in a hosted domain.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're at all serious about making money with your blog, you should go ahead and spend a few bucks a month to get your own domain & hosting account. Then you can use Wordpress and whatever ad service you choose.

You'll be able to customize your blog much more with your own host and you'll already have everything in place if your blog does take off big. You'd hate to have the downtime of moving everything over from Blogger or some free host right when you start getting good traffic.

Hosting & domain deals are pretty cheap these days. You can probably get away with the smallest bandwidth package to start off - blogs don't usually take up a lot of resources until you hit some big traffic numbers.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botrishlaw View Post
    how do those that use it generate revenue from their blogs since you can't use AdSense??
    Affiliate marketing links