SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firewall/Antiviruses that block Iframes

Is there any way of telling whether or not the user has blocked iframes?

I'm creating a component that overrides the Joomla sign-up process. It's not built directly into the framework because I'm building it so it can be used with other CMSes. Either way, my component will also be integrating with Paypal. That makes 3 different forms I have to send. One that inserts information into my DB, another that handles a subscription with Paypal (via POST), and another that sends info to Joomla sign-up form processor (via POST).

I was thinking that some hidden iframes and some javascript could solve my problems. The problem is with people who block iframes and javascript, I need to be able to tell them that their browser will not work with my process, and to follow some instructions, or call our Tech Support line.

Unless anyone can think of an easier process, other than making users click on several submit buttons? (which I'll do for non javascript users anyways)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how all browsers handle hidden iframes, but you should be able to use some combination of the NOSCRIPT and NOFRAMES tags to inform users that the site won't work properly without them.

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40.../noframes.html
    http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40.../noscript.html

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way I would do it would be to set up one server side script that updates your database and Joomla directly and then calls Paypal. That way you only need one submit button to handle everything.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solution: Don't use iframes.

I actually am happy that firewalls are starting to block iframes. Sooner they become depreciated the better. Please, please, please refrain from using them.

Search engines hate them, most of the time they are formatted to look ugly, they are in general so unreliable.

I recommend using jQuery, or SESSIONS to track the progress the user has made through the steps.
    Kieran Allen, 16 years old
    Full time PHP developer,
    With 5 years experience in web development.
    www.kieran.in .. my blog.