SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes people happy

I was just sort of wondering what makes people happy in a coded or uncoded template. I recently sold a fully coded layout on this site for around 80 bucks. I currently have one for sale that is bin of 155 dollars. Now my layouts haven't seemed to have been sparking much interest. What I don't get is how people pay 120 dollars for an uncoded layout but wont pay 35 dollars more for a coded one. What I am asking is what are the three main things a shopper looks for in a layout. I am guessing style, usability, and depth (How well it is coded and all). Anyone have any input?

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can also just be your sales-pitch.

People may not actually realise what a "coded" design is, and therefore not fully grasp why they need to part ways with an extra $35.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I should explain that in my auctions in the future?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely. Make a short yet good copy explaining your "coded" design. Being honest and upfront of its pros and cons will also be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I prefer to do my coding myself. Saving the money is nice, but more important is having code that I won't mind digging into to make changes, and that follows a consistent way of doing things.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe in the future you can provide visual examples to help people better understand?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never bought a layout, but I'd have to agree that, if I did, I would probably want to code it myself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems ridiculous to me that a uncoded layout would sell for more than a coded one. First off my coding is excellent. It is also very easy to follow, but w/e. from now on I will just sell uncoded layouts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You pretty much just explained it to yourself with that one sentence. Everybody thinks their own coding is excellent and is easy to follow. Probably why most people would rather code themselves.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfishgraphics View Post
    That seems ridiculous to me that a uncoded layout would sell for more than a coded one. First off my coding is excellent. It is also very easy to follow, but w/e. from now on I will just sell uncoded layouts.
    No offence, but the code that you feel is excellent might not be what others call excellent.

If you make sure that your code validate, and that it actually is what you say in the title then I believe it would be easier to sell your coded layouts as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you past this code <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <meta name="keywords" content="">
    <meta name="description" content="">

<title>Company Name</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="index.css">

</head>

<body>

<div id="container">

<div id="navigation">
    <!-- NAVIGATION CODE -->

<?php
    @include('Includes/navigation.html');
    ?>

</div>

<div id="header">
    <!-- HEADER CODE HERE -->

</div>

<div id="content">
    <!-- CONTENT CODE -->
    <h2 class="head">Home</h2>
    <p class="paragraph">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nunc fringilla, erat in ullamcorper faucibus, odio nunc tincidunt diam, sed pulvinar nisi neque sit amet diam. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec id lectus sed enim ullamcorper euismod. Morbi mauris. Integer a erat tincidunt dui placerat pellentesque. Integer in sem non ante feugiat sollicitudin. Vestibulum sagittis vestibulum odio. Suspendisse congue. Fusce varius. Cras vitae eros vel pede vehicula auctor. Vivamus semper. Aliquam erat volutpat. Etiam sagittis purus. Vestibulum pulvinar. Integer luctus. Aenean nunc. Sed commodo, orci id pharetra sodales, augue odio sodales nisl, vitae condimentum tellus metus id justo. Praesent fringilla porttitor mauris. Etiam feugiat, mi quis aliquam pharetra, ligula nisi laoreet mauris, ac convallis orci metus eget pede.

In auctor purus et felis. Maecenas dolor. Donec imperdiet. Curabitur venenatis sapien vitae nunc.

Curabitur sit amet magna.
    </p>

</div>

<div id="sidebar">
    <!-- SIDEBAR CODE -->

<?php
    @include('Includes/sidebarlinks.html');
    ?>

</div>

<div id="footer">
    <!-- NAVIGATION CODE -->

<?php
    @include('Includes/footer.html');
    ?>

</div>

</div>

</body>
    </html>

MY xhtml code in direct input it will validate.
    Last edited by Goldfishgraphics; Oct 16, 2007 at 12:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your page is not XHTML, it's HTML. Some of the validation errors are because you're using XHTML semantics on HTML.

Also, it being the secondary page on a main site doesn't have anything to do with validation.The code you pasted above contains PHP includes. When validating, all the code the includes churn out are parsed as well.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer