SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    derrrp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think testimonials are a good thing as well.

What is really the difference between a testimonial and a consumer review? Look at Amazon.com or iTunes...reviews, reviews and more reviews, and I'd think that those help future consumers make their decisions on whether to buy or not.

I read 'em anyway.
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crowden View Post
    I would think testimonials are a good thing as well.

What is really the difference between a testimonial and a consumer review? Look at Amazon.com or iTunes...reviews, reviews and more reviews, and I'd think that those help future consumers make their decisions on whether to buy or not.

I read 'em anyway.
    I never put much stock in those to begin with. From most of the consumer review posts I've read on a company's site, either the poster has no idea what they're talking about, they write out several paragraphs of complaints, or there are 4 words saying the product is good or bad.

In general, I don't find many people posting brief product reviews have the background or patience to post a reasonably short, thoughtful, useful, and fair review.

SitePoint Enthusiast flamenco-uk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Including links to scanned images of the actual hard copies seems to be a good way of convincing clients that testimonials are indeed genuine. This is what I do on my site
    Last edited by flamenco-uk; Oct 20, 2007 at 04:33.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As you see, it seems that testimonials are good, but the truth is that I don't like them and I don't pay attention to them and, if anything, I tend to distrust the site. Surprisingly, I seem to be one of the few, because more often than not I hear that testimonials do help to imporve sales. If that's true, it can simply mean that the majority of the users do like testimonials. I guess I'm different.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testimonials from forum members who have actually used your servicers are really useful.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I've used a simple guest book for a hockey coaching company I made a website for instead of going down the direct testimonials route. That way there's testimonials available, but it's obvious that they're real, or at least that most of them are as there's typo's everywhere and if you want you can leave your own comment. Seems a little more believable that way. Technically all the guest book posts could be added by the company, but they're not and I don't think any of their visitors think so either. Particularly since they're not all *** kissing, they often just say thank you and/or ask when the next event will be.
    Yeah, i think thats a good way to do it. I just hope they can leave their name and company name too.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a PM today:

The reason I contacted you, however, is that several of your testimonials on your site are from hosting forum owners, and one of my sites are forums... one of them quite large. I would think that if it worked for them, it could work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brendan Sinclair definitely rates testimonials highly in the latest edition of the Sitepoint Tribune.

He sums them up as "very important aspects of your marketing mix", and talks about a recent study that says "consumer opinions posted online come in as Internet users' third most trusted type of promotion."

The Tribune issue is here http://www.sitepoint.com/newsletter/...81&format=html

and the study in question is here http://www.emarketer.com/Article.asp...ticle1_newsltr

I am of course always interested in opinion and anecdotes, but my favourite is the science.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the type of site Testimonials can be more effective than other types of sites. But Testimonials are never a bad idea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think genuine testimonials do work..and do help in more sales...
    -= Manish Gori =- Banner Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, as long as they are credible. A dedicated page including links to scans of actual recent letters helps to convince.
    Last edited by flamenco-uk; Oct 20, 2007 at 04:33.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An evil (sort of) client caused huge embarrassment some time back. This potential client of mine, to check up on my work, called this company head who had provided the testimonial some time back. Even though he had written the testimonial, he flatly denied writing one for me! When i called him, he gave me the impression that he forgot (unintentionally of course) that he had written a testimonial. But by that time, the damage was already done.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When reading testimonials they usually have the greatest impression on me when the person giving the testimonial is identifiable with a mention of their website address or even better would be a link to their website.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who says all testimonials have to be text? The most credible testimonials on the web use video. Next in line would be audio. If you can't get audio, then you have to "settle" for text. Of course, some people prefer text over audio or video so I guess you just have to have them all. I think it was Derek Gehl I first heard say that order of credibility is something like this when it comes to testimonials:

Video (best)
    Audio (good)
    Text with first name, last name, website, city, state (still good)
    Text with first name and last name only (mediocre)
    Text with first name and last initial (poor)
    Text with first name only (worst of all)

Probably missing a few possibilities in there. But, let's just say audio and video is best and having a testimonial without a full name and city with state is pretty useless.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well testimonials shouldn't represent a big part part of your site. it's good to have them even though i think loads of people don't believe a thing from what's written there. if you really want to make something nice that could improve your traffic and represent REAL testomonials, you can create a forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe they are good for conversions on site.
    Bounceweb - Great cPanel shared and reseller Web Hosting.
    Wattoogle - Energy Saving Google Search.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all look for different information on a page than the next visitor. Some people look for "what does it do", some look for "how will it help me", some are only moved by statistics, some are just price shopping, some expect 40-page sales letters to give them all the details humanly imaginable, some people won't buy unless you have three sentences and three bullet points or less....

....And, some don't care about any of that but go right to the testimonials area to see what others have said.

My point is to not pay attention to this topic. Don't pay attention to people who say testimonials are useless. Test testimonials on your own site and see if they work for YOUR market.

For me, I'm pretty lazy by nature. If a new restaurant opened up across the street from my office, I could drive by it 20 times saying "I should go there for lunch sometime."

But, if a friend called me and said, "You HAVE to go to that new restaurant THIS FRIDAY because they have unlimited crablegs for $14.95".....

I'd schedule my whole week around being there on friday night!

That's the power of quality testimonials.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testimonials are great if you ask customers to post them on review sites to simply review your product.

Few will do it but if you do get a few they'll be more useful than 100 testimonials on your site.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use only positive reviews?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TV paster View Post
    Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility View Post
    If you are selling something (services, goods etc...) that testimonials will just help you increase your sales!
    yes. they make me more confident to buy things.
    Even if im on ebay ill read feedback on an item to see what people say in their little rating bar, thats a quick testimonial

Quote Originally Posted by TV paster View Post
    I would hope so, haha!

But with sites that distribute things like newegg, they dont have to worry about negative responses. Unless it was on the majority of items! I dont really have a point here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only testimonials are verbal. My clients recommend me to others. I don't post testimonials on the portfolio. I don't need this. My sites speak for themselves (I am a very modest person )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testimonials are a good thing, but the way you have them on your site is all wrong. First they are way off to the right and out of sight. They dont stand out at all. I would move 1 or 2 right under the left column. My opinion.
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have good, well-written, legitimate testimonials, I would definitely include them on your site. They might get you a few more sales and probably won't turn off any potential customers. I personally don't read testimonials, but there are some people who probably do.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Quality and "provenance" is often the key that will encourage those that are interested to go on and read the testimonials. Those that aren't interested won't, but there's no harm in providing for those that are, is there?