SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who has posted here. It's definitely an education for me and I hope for others too.

It has given me a more sophisticated attitude to testimonials and their use, rather than the "throw some mud and hope some sticks" approach I used before.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dnordstrom View Post
    "Testimonials are great as long as they don't look too good to be true.
    I have to agree with dnordstrom. They can definitely prove beneficial, but people are generally leery of the hyped up junk
    PLRSMART - 100% Unique PLR Content http://www.plrsmart.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you who discount testimonials, how could a testimonial be improved to work for YOU?

Steve

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility View Post
    If you are selling something (services, goods etc...) that testimonials will just help you increase your sales!
    I have a retail clothing web site and I frequently receive email messages from customers saying how "stoked" they are with their purchase. I really would like to share those messages with my web visitors but am not too sure just how to do it effectively. Would it be tetter to spatter them around as quotes in my product pages or make a separate page to hold all the testimonials in one place?
    I guess the goal would be to boost the customer's confidence and encourage sales.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Maxanne Durkee
    Heavyweight Collections
    Heavyweight t-shirts with prints inspired by Things Men Collect

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add a list of reviews to the individual product pages. Ask customers to review products several days after you ship them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the site's focus and point of view, testimonials can be good or bad, akin to having the name of the site's developer on the bottom of each page....For some sites this is great, other's such as professional sites maybe not so much.

DougB
    Ohmigod...he's back again

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Testimonials Are Excellent both ways

Testimonials are excellent when used with the product they are referring to.
    One positive aspect of getting testimonials that I don't see anyone mentioning is the fact that most people are hughly flattered to be asked for their testimonial. This generates the kind of good will, repeat clients, and referrals that most businesses are willing to pay big bucks for ... and, it's FREE!
    Yes, it is a challenge to get these these testimonials because you have to actually relate to your clients beyond just doing the work and getting paid. I consider this one of those separators between moderately successful business and hughly successful business. It's a FREE stream of revenue booster.
    As a consumer, I look for testimonials to help me narrow down the field before I start contacting potential suppliers via phone.
    Last edited by ses5909; Nov 4, 2007 at 13:21. Reason: Please put your link in your sig. thanks :)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testimonials in my view, are always good and help generate confidence in customers..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by palgrave View Post
    Hi folks,

This isn't a forum I find myself in alot, but after posting a website for review here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508280

a couple of reviewers opined against testimonials. As I said in the thread, I thought testimonials were all good as long as they are genuine.

What's the story???
    from my point of view i think its great to write a testimonial as long it is true...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testimonials are good IMO

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdurkee View Post
    I have a retail clothing web site and I frequently receive email messages from customers saying how "stoked" they are with their purchase. I really would like to share those messages with my web visitors but am not too sure just how to do it effectively. Would it be tetter to spatter them around as quotes in my product pages or make a separate page to hold all the testimonials in one place?
    I guess the goal would be to boost the customer's confidence and encourage sales.
    Thanks for any advice.
    One way to use your testimonials effectively would be to put them under/next to etc. something they bought from you.
    You could also ask them for a photo of them wearing something they bought from you, include the testimonials, and even have separate pages headlined with "Things the other clothing websites don't want you to know about us"... or something clever in your own words that would interest potential customers enough to have them click further.
    Remember, people buy things for emotional reasons and then back up their decisions with logic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key here is to have real testimonials, not fake ones. People can sense a fake testimonial a mile away, and who the heck wants to buy from a website that has fake testimonials plastered all over it?
    OurFreeStuff.net
    Offers that are free for the end user!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandeep060189 View Post
    from my point of view i think its great to write a testimonial as long it is true...
    I suspect you think the ones on Clearhill are not true. I can categorically and honestly state that they are true.
    Last edited by palgrave; Nov 7, 2007 at 14:59. Reason: ambiguity

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed this is the case, a Certificate of Authenticity and a client who is no longer your customer.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Certificate of Authenticity? Does it exist? Who provides it then?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SassySuz View Post
    One positive aspect of getting testimonials that I don't see anyone mentioning is the fact that most people are hughly flattered to be asked for their testimonial. This generates the kind of good will, repeat clients, and referrals that most businesses are willing to pay big bucks for ... and, it's FREE!
    Wow. This quite makes a lot of sense. Asking a satisfied cutomer for a testimonial just shows how proud you are that you have satisfied them.

I also believe that putting this belief in words solidifies the belief itself. Therefore if the client admits by word that he is satisfied, you bet he will remember you for a long time. Even recommend you to someone else.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that if you have a few testimonials then you may want to include them. It just depends on what you are selling. Testimonials aren't appropriate or necessary in all situations though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been my experience that testimonials are inappropriate from personal services providers i.e. healers, doctors, counselors, and anyone whose clients are dealing with emotional challenges where confidentiality is so very important.
    What other areas do you think that testimonials are inappropriate or unnecessary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to ignore your question about inappropriate places to put testimonials SassySuz, but to go back to your previous post about people being flattered by being asked to provide a testimonial, can I just say that I was asked for one yesterday, and yes, I was flattered.

Spot on there.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palgrave View Post
    I don't mean to ignore your question about inappropriate places to put testimonials SassySuz, but to go back to your previous post about people being flattered by being asked to provide a testimonial, can I just say that I was asked for one yesterday, and yes, I was flattered.

Spot on there.
    Does this fact (your being flattered) made you write a more objective review, I just suspect it would prevent you from highlighting negative points about a product or a service if there are any.

SitePoint Enthusiast ldylion214's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me I know testimonials have been helpful. I've had customers that were afraid to order being its online and we're not a name brand company but they see the testimonials and feel a sense of reassurance. I always try to use last names. I ask the customer before posting it. If they do not give their ok I do not add their praise.
    Nicci VanCleave
    Tribe Azure Jewelry
    Custom Native American Jewelry created by Ron Henry
    http://tribeazure.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a design point of view, I find testimonials really useful; if I have an identified 'competitor' site from a new client, the competitors testimonials can help build up the profiles of what could be ideal (i.e. satisfied and pleased) clients for a web project. Always good base to work from at the start of content writing - instead of that leap into the speculative abyss.

SitePoint Enthusiast flamenco-uk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigLL View Post
    A Certificate of Authenticity? Does it exist? Who provides it then?
    There is no such thing as a "Certificate of Authenticity" in this context.

I simply link testimonial quotes to a scan of the original hard copy (if necessary with personal information removed if requested). That way potential clients get a realistic view of context as well as provenance as to its authenticity.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Testimonials are really helpful, especially if you didn't just fake them. Make sure you can live up to the expectations of your customers.