SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Broadband and Business World Wide

I think this might be the right place to post this. I do not intend to start a political discussion with this thread. I am interested in comparing with the rest of the world, the services and broadband speeds available in other countries.

It's election time in Australia, and many issues regarding Broadband and Business are on the table. My interests rest with Australia being around the 25th fastest (that's slow, ok) broadband infrastructure in the world.

The Australian Governments plan for the future is to be up to providing 99% of the population with 12 megabit connection speeds by 2009. Well, there goes another year.

http://www.minister.dcita.gov.au/med...ll_australians

And on the other hand the opposition offers little more than starting from scratch and create a totally new National Broadband Network. I can imaging how long that would take.

http://www.alp.org.au/action/broadband.php

Are Australian businesses being held at ransom here? I would like to start this thread in the interest of finding out how politics and elections influence the broadband speeds and services in other parts of the world.

Let's compare broadband services world wide if you like.

Other remarks I've heard that could be relevant to this is from gamers in Australia, complaining of lag in display performance at different times of the day, etc.

Hope to learn what Australia should be aiming for in the future regarding High Speed Rich Internet Transfer.

Thanks in advance

Kai
    Peace on Earth. Please...
    Tuts:1 2 3 4

Beside myself.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I continue to wonder if big business is blocking high speed internet. You figure as soon as 50-100 MB upload/download speeds are available, the following will be possible:
    1. Movies on demand that can be downloaded in just a few seconds (whether the source is legal or not).
    2. Everyone can open up their wifi and create a network that allows your cellphone to connect to a network and call anyone for free, no contract needed anymore.

What do you think?

(hope this goes along with the content of the original post. no hijacking intended)

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that big businesses are 'blocking' high speed internet. Those very same big businesses will make more than anyone as new areas of e-commerce become reality. There are examples of companies that will lose out, like dial-up companies and video rental places (physical media), sure. But, those are nothing compared to the amount of businesses that will have new opportunities. And remember, all the big media distribution companies have their eye on broadband distribution of movies/music, etc. They just want to cash in on it.

In the US, there are so many infrastructure challenges that it's tough for anyone to propose a single 'best' way forward. But, there is quite a bit happening in the world of broadband penentration and improvement.

I'm curious - in Australia, what do you perceive as the barriers to having good bandwidth, speed, connectivity in general? It sounds like the available services aren't very satisfactory to begin with, and I've heard that quite a few times now.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    I'm curious - in Australia, what do you perceive as the barriers to having good bandwidth, speed, connectivity in general? It sounds like the available services aren't very satisfactory to begin with, and I've heard that quite a few times now.
    Great to get such good responses straight up...

The services are slow to progress in a general sense, but in the urban and CBD we have many success stories, like Brendon Sinclair for instance. In rural Australia we have a problem. So I would definitely suggest the infrastructure is just to old. Money is hard to come by, since there is debate about foreign investment. Such huge projects take a lot of money, and with only 20 million people, it slows right down.

Here is a web site where a lot of reviews and forums exist about the services available. Wireless is gaining popularity, but costs are ridiculous.

http://whirlpool.net.au/

Thanks to you both for getting the thread started.

Kai
    Peace on Earth. Please...
    Tuts:1 2 3 4

Beside myself.