User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marketing To Dog Webmasters??

Hello,

I'm currently putting together a large contest for Dog webmasters. So, I guess for this contest, my target demographic is "Dog webmasters". How on earth should I go about promoting my contest to dog webmasters? I'm open for just about anything...newsletters, banners, text links, etc. I just don't know where to go to even find a group of dog webmasters.

Any ideas?

Brandon Drury
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely there will be some on some pet and animal related discussion forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy some Pet related Links... from other website.. this will work...
    Unlimited Computer Support - Call TollFree @ 1-855-664-5678 Linksys Router Support

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm aware of dog forums and I'm DEFINITELY aware of buying Text Links.

I was just hoping there would be a big site for dog webmasters or something that I was missing in my searches.

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Killer Home Recording

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need a list of dog forums that won't kick you off for putting a link in your signature or posting a link (even if it isn't spam), here's alll the dog related forums I've found that are normal webmasters...

http://www.dogforums.com

yeah, that's right, only one out of about 15 forums. The rest of them are idiots and don't allow posting links, signatures, contests, etc...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dog/animal forums would be my first suggestion, but it seems like there aren't that many options in that area. Maybe try it from the other direction: post on SEO/web design forums trying to find those webmasters who also like dogs.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marketing to this small of a niche is going to be a very difficult propesition and something you're unlikely to find a lot of traffic in. I would suggest find pet related sites, magazines and newsletters and negotiating for second tier (non-mainstream) ads or using a ppc model to find traffic. Just realize it's unlikely you'll get many clicks or leads from any source.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posting on similar niched forums and blogs would be your best option IMO. But if you have a budget for it, I suggest you look into paid targeted links, PPC and other preminum ways to reach your target market
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandondrury View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently putting together a large contest for Dog webmasters. So, I guess for this contest, my target demographic is "Dog webmasters". How on earth should I go about promoting my contest to dog webmasters? I'm open for just about anything...newsletters, banners, text links, etc. I just don't know where to go to even find a group of dog webmasters.

Any ideas?

Brandon Drury
    1. Do a press release.
    2. Post an ad on Craig's list.
    3. Find dog bloggers and comment on their blogs without mentioning your contest. Your signature link will help promote your contest.
    4. Stumble your contest.
    5. Do a business email by searching a pet category in a major directory. Be sure to conform to the can-spam guidelines. I would put "Business inquiry: Contest for webmasters of dog sites." (Dog webmasters makes me think of the picture of dogs playing poker). Start the email off with a simple salutation like, "Greetings". In the body of the email, summarize your contest and put a link to contest details. As well as informing dog webmasters about your contest, ask if they would also give your contest a mention on their sites. Keep it short and sweet.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @shy - if only rep was in place. Very nice post!
    Sara

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaining ground and stature in pet forums like petforumz.com is the thing to do. Is this contest near or do you have some ample time to build up the hype for it?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help, dudes. There's a lot of great advice in here.

I have time to build up the contest. While I don't want to waste time, there is no specific deadline.

I'm not sure if this matters or not, but it's a dog social bookmarking site using the Pligg platform. My initial thought was to market to the dog webmasters to encourage them to Sniff their site (like a "d i g g" or a "sphinn") or add our plugin to their Wordpress pages. I was thinking that the webmasters would want to get Sniffed and therefore would ask their visitors to sniff their content.

Now I'm considering the idea of going after the general audience in some way. I have to think about this.

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Killer Home Recording