SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im wondering what all the uses for the meta tag are???

i havent seemed to be able to locate this info...
    Also, Can anyone fill me in as to how search engines such as yahoo find sites?
    i mean, do i have to pay some sort of fee for them to add me in their list?
    and if not, then how do i go about trying to make it so that my site shows up at a decent location on the search list?

C O N F U S E D

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be a big one.......

META tags help the search engines very much by describing the site and giving it keywords related to your site. Common ones include Description, and Keywords, but there are hundreds of them (such as Rating, Content, Language, Location)

When search engines crawl your site many take these in effect. Most engines use the Description tag as the site summary in the results page. The keywords tag is pretty self explanitory - it helps the engine by giving words that the engine can relate your site with. I could go on and on forever but I have certain limits

Search engines usually do not find sites, you need to submit them manually. Each engine is different. Yahoo does not spider, but instead an actual person goes to your site to see if it meets their standards. Some engines do crawl to find sites (they would find your site if someone links to you) but it is much safer to manually submit your site to each engine.

Most engines do not require you to pay them, but some do (GoTo, for example) charge you. Yahoo! offers a plan where they will look at your site much quicker if you pay them, but for the average person this is not worth it.

To make your site rank high on the results page, make sure that you have the basic META tags covered and have your site optimized for the search engines.

Some resources to help you:
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/arti...tinsearch.html
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/arti...ts/setips.html

For anything else, please fell free to contact me by e-mail: abahta@flashmail.com

Good luck!

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, thank you very much man. Well spoken and very understandable! =)

that kinda sux that i have to register to each search engine. yikes
    and as for paying for one. YIKES

Just how much weight do the engines have? I mean the far majority of the sites i surf to are from word of mouth. Hell i cant get those damn engines to find what im looking for anyway. I could type in "children books" and get results that are 65% smut anyway and of the other 35% MAYBE 10 of it will have to do with children books

So i mean would you say that the search engines are of great importance to your sites success?
    =============================================

WHOA! hundreds of tag attributes?!?!?

is there anywhere i can go to learn about them? any good resources?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are auto submitters on the net that claim to submit your site to enormous amounts of engines (see http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/arti...s/sitesub.html for more information on that) but do not ever use these. Search engines almost always ban you from them when you use these.

As for weight, it depends on how much effort you put into them. For many, it is much easier to gain traffic if you are good at spreading the word. For others, submitting to engines is much easier and more reliable. It depends on what you would rather do and how much work you want to put into it. For me, I like the engines (I guess because I know so much about them ) so I like to use these as much as I can.

Other ideas of promoting include reciprocal linking and banner exchanges.

Back to the topic: You can succeed without the search engines, but I would advise you try with the engines a little.

I can't think of the site that had all the tags there are (it's 3 AM here) but tomorrow I will give it a shot and report back.

If you need help with the engines, just let me know at abahta@flashmail.com

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USe simple submit, www.simplesubmit.com it submits your site to 30 odd search engines. Search engines in no way shape or form penalize you for doing this, they dont even know that you are doing this. Some search engines do penalize you for repeatedly submitting, but just doing it once, no.

Meta tags dont have to mean anything. I could have a meta tag that said name = "Favorite Food" content = "cheese" it doesn't mean it'd do anything. You could also make Meta tags for an interal search engine. Personally any site I'm going to put in my portfolio I put an author meta tag in saying I'm the author.

Don't think of Goto charging for search listings. I think they use excite and so if you submit to excite your site will be on there. What goto does is sell very targetted advertising. You bid on keywords and the highest bidder gets listed first in a search, next highest second, and so on. For instance Amazon.com has a bid around a dollar on the word book. But every time someone clicks their link Goto bills them 1 dollar. This is great for small sites though. If you sell ads at 20 CPM you make 4 cents per visitor, if you sell ads at 5 CPM you make 1 cent per visitor. So at Goto only bid 1 cent on all your keywords. And for every person who follows the link you will gain 3 cents if you are at 20 CPM or you wont lose any money, and gain 1 cent if they view more than 1 page, if you're at 5 CPM.

One last thing, Simple Submit will not Submit your site to Yahoo or DMOZ.org so you have to submit there manually. Yahoo can be very picky so be careful. DMOZ.org is the open directory project that is becomming more and more popular and results from it are being incorporated into other search engines.

Chris

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa there fella! =)p

you lost me with that CPM talk hehe

but im very glad you mentioned it. Do either of your sites talk about that? the CPM and money making tools?
    I have little to NO grasp on how money is made on a website. I know that you can have banners on your site that if someone clicks on them you receive some odd amount of money.
    But thats about the extent of my knowledge.
    I need to learn that desperately
    Any good tutorials?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks aspen, you cleared a lot up for me.

I really do agree, search engines do block you when you use auto submiters. Either way, I think that SimpleSubmit can help when you want to submit to the lesser known engines.

I have learned the hard way that auto submitters really do not work. You can try if you want to, but the major engines (Excite, AltaVista, HotBot, Lycos, etc) are too important to trust one website on.

META tags mean a lot! It improves your rank in the search engine. It provides keywords that the engine will match you with. Most importantly - the Description tag provides users with a summary of your site.

Aspen is right about the GoTo deal. I am not sure what engine they use, but I appeared in them without paying a cent. Paying them for clicks can boost your traffic, however. I have heard good stories about it.

My current site doesn't deal with money making etc too much, but when it is relaunched it most likely will.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things-

1) There is a forum at Sitepoint called Search Engine Wars that you might find more useful since it is dedicated to this type of topic.

2) I maybe wrong, ASPEN, but I thought I read somewhere that many search engines are not allowing submit robots? Anyway, I have used SimpleSubmit several times without any luck.

[This message has been edited by westmich (edited May 28, 2000).]

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Simple Submit has always worked for me, in it just sends your info to all the pages at once.

2. It doesn't submit to the lesser known engines. It submits to the most popular search engines on the net if you dont count yahoo.

Now for money making terms.

CPM stands for cost per 1000 impressions. An impression is every time the banner is viewed, whether or not its the same person viewing it over and over. A unique is just 1 person viewing something. Most tracking software discerns between the two. The CPM network with the lowest requirements I know of is burst www.burstmedia.com They only require that you have 5k impressions per month, other sites like flycast require 250k, 24/7 media requires 1-3 million. And the more impressions you get the higher CPM you will pull in. Small sites on burst may only make 1-2 CPM. But sites with millions on impressions are more likely to rake in 20 CPM +

CPC stands for cost per clickthrough. Every time a banner is clicked you get X amount. Usually a few cents. Value click is one CPC network in which you start out at 12 cents and the more hits you get the more you can make. Their minimum is 10k impressions a month. Advertising.com formerly teknosurf says they can deliver 35 cents per click through, I dont know if this is true or not. Hitbox, the popular tracking software, now also offers a 10 cent CPC on their free tracking banner.

To figure out your best bet you need to do a little math. Lets say on burst you got 2 CPM. On Valueclick 1% of your visitors click on your banner. So you'd make 1.2 CPM equiv on valueclick. On Advertising.com 2% click on it and you get 20 cents CPC so you make 4 CPM. So advertising.com is you best choice even though its not CPM which is usually preferred.

Chris

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you say 1-2 CPM...that means they make 1 to 2 cents per 1000 impressions?

and when you say "Viewing" the banner... does that mean they simply load the page and the banner is viewed?

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I moved the topic to a more appropriate forum.

------------------
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
    http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
    matt@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPM is cost in dollars per 1000 impressions, so 1 CPM would be $1 for 1000 banner views.

An impression is one request of the banner.