SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft Content Management Server

Hi,

anyone using MS CM Server ? I've just downloaded evaluation version and I'm going to try it out this week.

Mare

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't even aware one existed, sounds very interesting though do you have a URL with some more info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure, everything is on MS site

www.microsoft.com/cmserver

I'm not sure this is the exact URL. Just check MS site, y ou should find it out.

As far as I've seen it looks great, but it's a little bit too expensive for not so big projects. But I believe it's a great choice for bigger enterprises and for people who aren't exactly technical experts.

Mare

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for such a product for a long time and when I came across it a while back I wasn't sure this was what I was looking for because it says that it's for "e-business across enterprise Web sites" while I was looking for a simpler solution.
    Another product worth having a look at is SharePoint Portal Server which I downloaded and istalled today and it looks very good but it's more like a portal creation server built specifically for an intranet rather than the www.
    What's the difference between the two anyway??
    I'd appreciate any input from you guys who install the software.
    Last edited by creole; Sep 28, 2001 at 09:59.
    Can I ever find the ideal CMS? (One that is also cheap or even free!)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks excellent, but as I see it there are a few major disadvantages when compared to simpler solutions like Aroze or PHP Nuke.

• Cost - MS CMS costs thousands of dollars (I think it does anyway)
    • Server Requirements - At least 512Mb RAM - more than most of us can afford
    • SQL Server - you need a license of this to run MS CMS. This alone costs thousands as well
    • Client Program - it sounds like you have to install a program on all author's PC's (which in itself requires 128MB RAM)

It looks like an excellent server, but is only suited for enterprise use (ie millions of views per day at least).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from these disadvantages, do you think this is a better alternative to phpnuke in terms of features??
    Are there any features that stand out?

The problem is that for me to use phpnuke I would haveto do alot of customising which I frankly don't know how.

Any idea about how much it costs to have a professional customise phpnuke to your needs?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.aroze.com - it will put phpnuke to shame.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what makes you think so ChilliBoy?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will, trust me From what I've seen of it so far it will be the best.

I would say MS CMS is a solid script and would be really good to use, but it isn't necessarily worth the vast increase in price aganist Aroze or phpnuke.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to see Aroze then.. But what have you guys seen? The site doesn't show anything except for a list of features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months ago Microsoft acquired a company called NCompass and they have now relaunched their content management server (NCompass Resolution) as their own product, Microsoft Content Management Server 2001. It works with Windows 2000 only.

This article highlights the fact that there is a huge change in price. The average cost of Resolution was $79,000, for a single server. Microsoft has relaunched it at a recommended retail price of $39,901 per CPU. So you can see what a dramatic change it is. It will presumably have an affect on the rest of the market, e.g. Vignette.

As for Aroze... if you have questions, post them here, and there are a few screenshots here. You are right, currently Aroze can only be classed as vapourware, and I'm not going to hide it from you that development is going slowly. But it will be released some day soon.
    Last edited by Daniel; Sep 2, 2001 at 02:54.
    Daniel Irvine
    Aroze - Content management simplified.
    F-Free.Net - Free Stuff and Freebies!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to the Product Spec for those interested in finding out a bit more: - http://www.aroze.com/prodspec/

There is also a long thread discussing various aspects of aroze at edevboards - you can read it here:- http://www.edevboards.com/showthread...&threadid=1159
    Last edited by ChilliBoy; Sep 2, 2001 at 07:53.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely Expensive and not worth it!

When Microsoft announced CMS I was excited about the possibilities. The demo was great and all was looking positive until I got pricing information. Once the price bomb was dropped on me I started looking around for alternatives. I would like to have gone with an Open Source solution, but we run ASP on IIS and no one wants to give away an ASP content management solution.

In my quest for a solution I ran accross CMS200 from Ektron (www.ektron.com) and found it to be at least as good as Microsoft's solution. The enterprise license is about 30% of the cost of licensing just a sinlge CPU with the Microsoft solution. I believe that Microsoft has really gone way out of the ballpark on this one and the money would be better spent elsewhere.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Another content management system from MS? And more expensive then Commerce Server?

I don't know about you, but Commerce Server is more then enough for me (considering it comes bundled with SQL Server).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking compare the facts and you will like CMS100 better.

CMS200 is produced by Ektron and is less expensive than Commerce Server by about 6.5K.
    Ektron CMS200 is $2999 for unlimited processors and 10 users.(see http://www.microsoft.com/commerceser...ng/default.asp for Commerce server pricing) It also contains the "Top of the line" browser based WYSIWYG editor, "eWebEditPro" that is used by all major content management solutions like Vignette, Eprise and Open Market to name a few. Its target audience is professional web developers who are looking to assist medium to midsize companies enter the arena of content management. The low cost is indicative of the fact that ektron has long produced eWebEditPro and saw a strong need to cater to the entry-level market for content management solutions.
    They even have a CMS100 that rolls out at an attractive $499 (5 users, unlimited CPUs).
    Ektron is the solution every company can afford.
    Maybe companies canít afford not to use it, increased employee productivity is a great way to beat the economic pressure to save or cutback. Do more work with the same group of people.
    Did I mention support was free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James
    It looks excellent, but as I see it there are a few major disadvantages when compared to simpler solutions like Aroze or PHP Nuke.

• Cost - MS CMS costs thousands of dollars (I think it does anyway)
    • Server Requirements - At least 512Mb RAM - more than most of us can afford
    • SQL Server - you need a license of this to run MS CMS. This alone costs thousands as well
    • Client Program - it sounds like you have to install a program on all author's PC's (which in itself requires 128MB RAM)

It doesn't look like it needs a client side program.. From what I read in the prod specs I see that you can do everything from the browser.

Also, there's a new demo for the program and it says that www.xbox.com is powered by MS CMS.
    Here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/code/webcast/

Has abyone tried this program yet?
    I tried to install the demo version with a demo version of SQL Server but I just couldn't get it to work! In fact, I'm still having trouble uninstalling the software from my server!

Any idea how it functions in the "real world"?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb I run CMS...my opinions

I own a small consulting and development business with a hosting facility. We picked up CMS in the late summer, which was the first time MS told any of its partners about it that I recall.

Anyway, we loaded it and run it on multiple servers now, and we developed add-ons that make it a lot better. I have tried Ektron's product, and I can see it suiting a very small business pretty well, though I resent the implication that this channel deserves to be turned into the "open source and low end content management marketing channel".

CMS is a better answer than Ektron or PHPNUke IF the size and sophistication of the deployment justifies its scalability and integration features. If your site is small then I wouldn't recommend spending $50,000 to purchase what is clearly a mid to high end solution.

However, I was as sensitive to the kind of sticker shock that I've seen. Indeed I felt it too, since I think it may be MS's most expensive product yet. I am only hoping they lower the price later, but I doubt they will since they are probably pushing up-market. I am glad it is cheaper than before though.

I had a solution, which was to begin offering shared CMS hosting in an environment that includes code enhancements that we built ourselves, BUT we know little about the kind of people who would like to use this product.

I'm looking for people who have an interest in implementing content management tools or CMS in particular, who would be willing to answer some questions about their motivations and concerns. This applies even if you already purcahsed an alternative.

Any feedback appreciated. Sorry to drag everyone back on topic, but if you can't talk about CMS here, where else can you go?

Thomas Carpe
    Baltimore, MD
    Last edited by DocWattsMan; Feb 23, 2002 at 19:10.