SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone made fun of me this week because I have Dreamweaver 3 and never upgraded. I never felt the need to upgrade it since it has a nice code view and that's about it. I don't need bells & whistles. DW is worthless for tableless design, so I use Textpad (great for opening multiple files) and standalone FTP when coding CSS.

In fact, I've never used the built in FTP in Dreamweaver. I like to be in control and able to see exactly what is going on with my files.

Then there's pico and vi. I prefer pico for fast, fast, fast editing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have come across the OpenSource equivalent to DreamWeaver called Nvu, has anyone tried that and what is it like as a comparison to DreamWeaver 8. I have not bought CS3 yeat, still rather expensive.
    Ross Bartholomew
    Web Designer/Developer
    BartWebSites
    E-mail: ross@bartwebsites.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nvu is a WYSIWYG only piece of software so it's not going to be producing really good markup. To produce really good markup (and by that I mean semantic, not bloated, accessible, valid etc) you need the human touch - so whether that's a case of hand-coding using a text editor or HTML editor OR using a WYSIWYG editor and then going in and checking/fixing it's errors, you can't rely on software to do it all for you.

There seem to be a lot of people who use the latest DW as a fancy HTML editor - only using the code view, but that seems like an expensive way of doing things - why not use one of the excellent free tools (anything from Notepad to editors like HTML kit and PSPad) that will allow you to hand code.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am young and not as wise as many of you but this is what happened with me:

When I first saw Dreamweaver I was scared (I was only fourteen i think) and I went straight back to NetObjects but since then I have taken the DW Bull by the horns and have learnt all the ins and outs of the program.

Dw is great. It speeds up everything. I will normally start with putting in the basic structural divs in code view... wrapper >> header >>nav etc.... and then edit the css back in design view with the css pallette --- which is BTW an amazingly useful tool!

And plus there are small things that DW does which makes all the difference!
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add something about all those other WYSIWYG editors:::

DO NOT USE THEM! --- Unless you plan on fixing all the errors afterwards!

Its so annoying when there is a website to be made for an event or something and some wise guy in the room says ..."yerp... I can create an awesome website using my MAC"... (or something equally pathetic) --- And then when you see what he/she has made it turns out to have been made in iWeb or something similiar to that. The page is overloaded with javascript - is completely made up of AP divs and turned out to crash the school computers when accessing the page. (THIS BECAME A PROBLEM BECAUSE THE NETWORK MANAGER SET THE PAGE AS THE DEFAULT FOR WHEN YOU OPEN IE)

I am not painting every program with the same brush... but i do get annoyed when people get all uppity about being able to create websites and then they come up with something like that!

If you do insist on using a WYSIWYG editor then PLEASE just use Dreamweaver. The markup it creates is probably the cleanest out of all the editors I have seen....

SOrry to rant
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    webpad is great for online editing.

I don't think anybody would use this for the majority of their coding. But, it's a free PHP-based tool that you put on your site and you can edit your files from anywhere.

If you need to make some quick changes to your online code, it's just great.