SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Deciding to develop a website on which browsers?

Hi,

I'm developing a website using div's and avoiding tables however in browsers earlier than IE7.0 and FF2.0 I have problems with the display of the head nav which shifts to right and does not align with the rest of the page. Also since I am using png's IE6 does not show them well.

Should I not use pngs and most of the features of CSS that are not supported in earlier browsers?
    So the website will be shown everywhere the same?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on your target audience. Generally this should mean supporting IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari and Opera as a minimum.

If you've written valid code then I don't usually find IE6 is too much trouble if you know what bugs you're looking for.

I don't tend to use png's unless there's a reason for it. If gif or jpg can achieve exactly the same thing then I'd generally use them but there are hacks available for IE6.

I wouldn't usually support IE5.5 unless a client requested it but I don't usually find that it's much more trouble than IE6 apart from using conditional comments to fix the box model.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    It depends on your target audience. Generally this should mean supporting IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari and Opera as a minimum.

If you've written valid code then I don't usually find IE6 is too much trouble if you know what bugs you're looking for.

I don't tend to use png's unless there's a reason for it. If gif or jpg can achieve exactly the same thing then I'd generally use them but there are hacks available for IE6.

I wouldn't usually support IE5.5 unless a client requested it but I don't usually find that it's much more trouble than IE6 apart from using conditional comments to fix the box model.
    Totally agree with all of that, except I find that with my clients they get double visitors using IE5.5 over Safari. So I still tend to include IE5.5 as a standard browser.

Si

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PNG-8 compresses better than GIF in almost every case (5% to 25% in typical cases) so usually there is never any real reason to use *.gif

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the hack for png's for IE6?

Here is how the headers section is looking in IE6 and FF 1.5. Images attached. Please give me suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images