SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi niche blogging

I have a number of subjects I am interested in, and while I will be doing a couple of blogs on specific subjects I wondered about doing a random/general blog for the other subjects, my question is can these still get an audience/make $$$? Reason I wont do single niche blogs for everything is I wont have the time to update/promote ten or so blogs.

Any views?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell, I posted this topic like half hour or so ago and it just came up in a Google search I was doing on multi niche blogging! That was quick.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you please explain in details what you meant?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, well, I am doing 2 niche related blogs on certain subjects but have other subjects I want to blog about too, but if I do seperate blogs for the other subjects as well it would take up too much time, so would doing a 'general' blog that covers all the other subjects in one blog still be ok? Would it still do well audience wise/$$$ wise - I know its a general quesion but people go on and on about sticking to one niche per blog which I agree with, but can multi niche blogs be successfull too? Pros and cons of it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could definitely do it a general blog; there are positives and negatives to both situations. If you want to establish yourself as an expert, I think it would be harder with a general blog.
    Sara

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you say the pros and cons are?

With a more general blog I'd say there's better chance of more SE hits in terms of random stuff (Not big keywords etc), but in a niche related one you can focus you anchor texts etc more on a certain subject, thus Google understanding the blog better, would that be fair to say?

Money wise I was thinking if a general blog gets more SE users then ad clicking could be higher, people coming to your blog regulary wont click as many ads really while one time users might, even tho they probably wont come back, again, fair?

Just trying to weigh up certain things.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing almost the same thing but the problem is that I don't have the time to do SEO on all my blogs.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definetly would be time consuming for me to do the blog posts and promote on several different blogs, thus this topic.

The other thing I was thinking about is if in this general blog I make a few posts on a subject and notice people like that subject I could always move that subject to its own niche related blog, so I could use this blog as a test to see what people like instead of wasting lots of time on something people might not like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you try to stick to 3 or 4 subjects with a decent audience overlap, I think it may even work better than a solely focused blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The cons of splitting:

1. It takes time to set up and establish a new blog
    2. some of your audience from your general blog may leave so it will be split

Pros of splitting
    1. Cross-linking is a nice benefit. You can repeatedly reference your other blogs to help draw attention to them.
    2. You will have the potential for larger audiences. You can definitely lose visitors to your blog because they were there to read about your dogs and you start posting about your car. By focusing your now two blogs, you really have the ability to market them individually. I always hated submitting to blog directories and choosing a category for my blog! This helps to eliminate that.
    3. You’re giving your visitors what they want and that is what it all really comes down to. If they are there to read about your dogs, write about your dogs. That doesn’t mean you can’t write about your cars, just do it on your other blog!
    4. You build more focused links to your blog. If you right about dogs, other dog bloggers will probably link to you if you h ave a focused blog.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the subjects - if you are talking about web design, web development, web promotion and the like then I wouldn't break them up. If you're talking about golf and the best hamburgers in Denver, then I would break them up...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep them together? perhaps there is a distinct niche that allows you to cross-market dog/car products.
    Dog seatbelts
    Dog breed bumper stickers
    Dog transporters, trailers, boxes
    Blinged dog collars (mercedes, bmw, VW medallions etc - [wow beastie boy dogs!])
    Dogs with car names, cars with dog names ... er ... there must be loads of stuff!
    Would that be a previously unimagined market, all the seo would be in place.