SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIS 5 Website Usage?

Greetings all, my first post on this very nifty site =) I have a question on the usage of IIS 5 and setting up a personal website utilizing a backend database (MS Access) via ASP.

Ok first of all, I have set up a department "Intranet" site at work utilizing the same concept, Intranet Site with an MS Access backend via ASP (but here I use PWS on NT4.0) and this works great.

I wanted to set up a website for my wife to display grades to her students. I have an MS Access database where she plugs in the data and I display it on a Webpage via ASP. This works well locally (I use WinXP and IIS 5.)

My question is how do I get this to be accessible via the WWW? I have gone through many tutorials and forums on the subject and they all lead the same path: "set up IIS or PWS, ASP to display via HTML and Presto!" ...But they never explain how it gets on the web. I have tried some free webhosts that offer MS Access and ASP support, but I must load up my database to the host, thus rendering the need for IIS on my local PC useless, I don't get it. Do I use my local PC as a webserver and people just type int http://myipaddress ? Can someone explain this in some more detail how I make this connection?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your best bet is to get paid hosting. are your files in the wwwroot folder first, if so then open up IIS 5. look to the left and your name of your site should be there,right click it go to properties. you should be under the website tab, you should see your ip address if it says this (All Unassigned), then put your real ip address there instrad and see if that helps.
    i love php

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - your pc must be connected to the internet
    2 - your connection must have enough bandwidth to serve your content
    3 - you should (really MUST, but there are ways) have a static IP
    4 - if you want namebased hosting you must have a nameserver or two (registered dns servers)
    5 - not absolute, but you're nuts if you don't - you need a firewall or a nat-translating router

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah having IIS on your personal box is only needed to help you build and test. Unless you setup your computer as a dedicated webhost like imbix2001 mentioned, you have to upload to a real server.

Also, with what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend Access for security reasons. Other security suggestions are strong passwords, PIN numbers rather than names or SS#s, and also writing and displaying the data over SSL.