SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I developed a site once, which had a nav bar at the top of each page. Whenever I got the search engine (searchbutton.com) which spiders my site, to spider it, it always indexes the text nav bar which I have (i.e. it always indexes the nav bar text: about us, clients, product, and then it finally indexes the actual text that is the content of page now comes in here)

How do I tell the engine just to index a certain bit of the page? (just one table) or something like that?

------------------
    Methven Online - www.methven.org.uk
    Subtle Measures - www.subtle-measures.co.uk
    Scotjokes - www.scotjokes.co.uk (Coming Soon!)

[This message has been edited by Saltire (edited May 31, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do this, but I am not sure about searchbutton.com (I have never used it). There is no answer to all the search engines because each service is different.

However, I know you can do this in FreeFind (http://www.freefind.com) Using special tags, you can tell the engine what not to index (in this case, it would be the nav bar text).

Your code would look something like:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>
    &lt;!-- FreeFind Begin No Index --&gt; About Us | Clients | Product &lt;!-- FreeFind End No Index --&gt;
    [/code]

of course, there would be &lt;a&gt; tags around the text, but that's the general idea.

Hope that helps!

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have META description and keyword tags. If not then there are a wealth of excellent articles written by Sitepoint (most from the WR days) about search engine positioning, and even more on using and optimizing your meta tags.